Hole in ceiling

purplealien

Hi - for the last 2 months i have had a hole in my living room ceiling. It is caused by water damage as the en suite is directly above. Water from the ceiling keeps dripping directly on to my leather couch. I have been ringing our house insurers for the last 2 months asking them to send somebody out to assess the damage and they keep putting me off. Anyway, finally i have an appointment for somebody to come look at it next week. My question is - what can i claim for?Is it just the ceiling or can i also claim for possible damage to my leather couch? Thanks in advance.
PA

After the initial leak you have to 'mitigate' your loss. So if moving the couch, for eg, were possible and in doing so the couch would have been okay then this wouldnt be an allowable loss.

Did you seriously allow water to drip down onto furniture in the room below for 2 months???
Could you not have moved the furniture or made some temporary fix while waiting for the insurance assessor?

First of all i didnt take 2 months for someone to come out and look at it!! Also i wasnt able to move the couch - there was no room to move it anywhere - im hardly going to move it in to the kitchen. The living room is such a weird shape that it wont fit anywhere else in the room. Not my fault the insurers are so casual wit sending someone out, the whole ceiling could have collapsed by now

First of all i didnt take 2 months for someone to come out and look at it!!
No, but your failure to even take the simplest interim measures lead to potentially much worse damage to your couch.

If a window in your house was broken, would you first attempt to patch it up or leave it as is for 2 months whilst waiting for an insurance assessor to arrive and assess the rain damage to your house?

ok so i get nothing for the couch - what about the tiles on the ensuite floor - i presume they will have to be taken so underneath can be sealed preventing a future problem - or do they just fix the hole?

I am presuming that while you were waiting to get the assesor out that you didnt use the en-suite so as to minimalise damage?

i had to use the en suite - it has the only shower in the house - there is only a bath in the bathroom

Just put in a claim for the couch and flooring etc etc. If the assessor includes it, great. If not, put up your best argument. Sin sin.

The assesor just called - he was the one who mentioned the couch :) He also asked about the floor but i told him it was ok. So he said he would put in a claim for the couch, tiles and ceiling. Happy Happy Happy :)

Back