hit by uninsured driver, what next?

25euronote

As the title says, last week I was hit from behind. Gardai called arrived in 10 mins. (very quick).
Other driver had left at this stage. Garda said driver had no insurance and they had been looking for the driver.

I have a quote for damage to the car and torn ligaments (had mri yesterday).I have a couple of questions,
1. Do I go to the MIB (motor insurance bureau)
2. or go to PIAB. Do I go to both? Which first?

3. Will I loose my no claims bonus?
4. How long does it usually take to process the claim?

Last week? Have you informed your own insurers yet? You are obliged to make a report, I think within 7 days of an accident/incident. Get a PULSE number from the Guard.

Hi 25,
I was hit head-on by an uninsured driver in March of last year. Did you get the persons registration number? Did you notify gardaí? That is the first thing I did together with getting his name, address, make/model of car, phone number etc. I really should have got the gardaí to attend the scene but I had no mobile phone with me at the time and the third party had little or no english so he couldnt understand my request for a mobile phone or for him to call gardaí. After the accident I drove straight to the local Garda Station and took it from there.

I also made contact with my insurance company and informed them immediately.

I then contacted the MIBI (motor insurance Bureau of Ireland) and notified them of the incident. They will pay for any costs incurred if an uninsured driver crashes into you. Its a governmental based insurance scheme to protect citizens from uninsured drivers in Ireland. Google their number an it will come up or go on their website for further information.

I had comprehensive insurance with AXA so they sorted my damages initially and I paid my excess of E150.00. Then my Insurers AXA pursued a claim for the cost of damages from the MIBI (as I was not at fault) and I turn pursued the MIBI to recover the cost of my excess (150.00).

Best of luck with your claim

BB

As bigbird said, your first port of call will be your own insurer. If you have comprehensive and if the driver can be traced then your insurer will deal with the claim. Your no claim bonus won't be effected and your policy excess will be refunded.

As stated, notify your insurer. If you claim on your comprehensive policy for damages you MAY lose NCB, ( at least in the short-term), unless you have a protected NCB. Discuss with you insurers. It sounds like you have claimable injuries, in which case it is likely to go thru the MIB, assuming they accept liability. Your own insurers may walk you thru this process, so discuss with them. There's nothing stopping you sounding out the PIAB as to the next steps, call them. Th Gardai may also give you some pointers.

Back