Hit by uninsured car

T

Trish212

I was parked by my sons school, when this car came round the corner going too fast lost it, hit my car then drove off. The accident caused them to have a flat.

I got the reg informed the police and my insurance company, only they have no insurance....boy racers....

So now my insurance has to pay out for the repairs to my car, my insurance premium will go up :(

Now I also have access to a jeep with bull bars, and I have a pretty good idea of where the car is driven around.

Can you guess where I am going with this...???

Well it's what I feel like doing anyway.

I was parked by my sons school, when this car came round the corner going too fast lost it, hit my car then drove off. The accident caused them to have a flat.

I got the reg informed the police and my insurance company, only they have no insurance....boy racers....

So now my insurance has to pay out for the repairs to my car, my insurance premium will go up :(

Now I also have access to a jeep with bull bars, and I have a pretty good idea of where the car is driven around.

Can you guess where I am going with this...???

Well it's what I feel like doing anyway.

Your Insurance premium or No claims Bonus wont be affected, You inform your Insurance Company the other driver was uninsured and your insurance company pay for your repairs and recoup the money they paid you from the M.I.B.I. ( Uninsured Drivers of Ireland ). Happened me twice this summer believe it or not, was hit last week by a polish guy who pretended he hadnt 2 words of english only " Dont Know". He left the scene, I took the reg, car was registered as scrapped and obviously uninsured, I drove around for hours till I found the car outside a house. Called the Police, and he got arrested. Grrr :mad:

I wonder if OP is based in UK where this would be the case?

Uninsured drivers caught like this should paya heavy price or do a little bit of time.

happened to me with an uninsured romanian.......he got arrested but i had to make calls to the MIBI which handled everything

I wonder if OP is based in UK where this would be the case?
Yes, you could actually be correct on that as she says Police and not the Gardai. In the UK it would affect her bonus and price of next year’s policy also.
I think the MIBI is actually a good idea, surprised the UK has not picked up on this also giving the large amount of accidents with uninsured drivers that happen there.
I used to complain about the MIBI ( Uninsured Drivers of Ireland ), I used to think why should I have to pay for the damage caused by some idiot who doesn’t purchase insurance, but I had a quick change of view when I was then hit by an uninsured polish guy, was able to get my car repaired and it didn’t affect my policy or bonus at all.
I do have some concerns about the MIBI however, My neighbour a few years back, he was 15 at the time, was out one night with an old NCT Failed car he bought for €40 Joyriding, He had 3 other 14 and 15 year olds with him and they hit an old guy on his way home from Mass with his sister and niece. Obviously my neighbour had no Insurance so it was up to the MIBI to pick up the bill. Everyone was hurt pretty bad, the old guy and his passengers came of the best but all the young lads in the NCT Failure car were pretty serious, but, every one of them, apart from the driver, got massive 6 figure sum claims from MIBI. I was shocked that they could actually claim as they obviously participated knowing the driver was underage and the car was uninsured. They went Joyriding, nearly killed 3 people and themselves and got very well paid for it in the end up!!.. I heard recently the MIBI is coming after the young driver for the monies they had to pay out, I also think that is wrong, If they are taking money from everyone’s policy to fund MIBI they shouldn’t also be allowed to take that young guys saving and future inheritance ( If any ) also to cover any compensation they pay out. Its either going to be funded by other policy holders or by the guy who caused the damage but I fail to see why MIBI can get away with getting their funding from both. Good system but would need a little tweaking..

Yep I'm in the UK.

My premium will go up as a result of this.

As for the boy driving and those with him, all they will get is a slap on the wrist, and probably a driving ban....if he isn't banned already that is. It's about time uninsured drivers are dealt with severely.

But hey this is the UK and their rights count for more than mine :(

... I think the MIBI is actually a good idea, surprised the UK has not picked up on this also giving the large amount of accidents with uninsured drivers that happen there.
Ahem, not all good ideas originate here. Below is the web-address of the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB, the original of the species) which fulfills the role of the MIBI for the UK, but has a much wider ranging brief. -
http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Services/en/Accidents+in+the+UK/Default.htm

OP, please make sure you process your claim and are not out of pocket as a consequence of some else's illegal driving activity.

Ahem, not all good ideas originate here. Below is the web-address of the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB, the original of the species) which fulfills the role of the MIBI for the UK, but has a much wider ranging brief. -
http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Services/en/Accidents+in+the+UK/Default.htm

OP, please make sure you process your claim and are not out of pocket as a consequence of some else's illegal driving activity.
Apologies, I didn’t no about the UK Fund at all. I don’t think from a quick read through the website, that it has a wider ranging brief or would be a better model as the OP will still possibly have to end up claiming from her own Insurance to get back on the road quickly as the MIB takes at least 4-5 months to investigate the matter and god knows how long to pay out, The UK model doesn’t seem to protect the claimants No claims Bonus and the Policy as the Irish Model does. I may be wrong as I admit I only glanced through the website but it also seems that if the driver is caught and is uninsured the MIB only take over to investigate after the claimant fails to get a county court judgement or gets an unsatisfying one. Is that correct?..

Briefly, since 2001 or so the MIB are the ones the traffic police on UK TV shows call in relation to uninsured drivers - they are the holders / administrators on the "insured drivers / cars database" and the cops impound uninsured cars on their say so.

They run publicity campaigns targeting uninsured drivers or drivers whose policies are due for renewal

They pursue uninsured drivers through the county courts to recover costs paid out to the victims of uninsured drivers

They pay out on claims against uninsured / unidentified vehicles / drivers and they administer the Green Card Scheme for non-EU drivers in the UK

They have some sort of coordinating responsibility between the DVLA (vehicle & driver licensing records), the police (criminal records and intelligence), the insurance industry (funding and insurance records), and the UK's Dept for Transport. They return unused portions of their budget to insurers, who presumably pass savings back to their policy-holders.

It seems to be working well as their 2009 annual report mentions, with 177,000+ uninsured vehicles identified taken off the road via the database and 37,000 taken off the road via the MIB Police Helpline.

Their Annual Reports in PDFs make for interesting reading.

I wonder could we adopt all of this without turning it into yet another useless quango costing millions?

Briefly, since 2001 or so the MIB are the ones the traffic police on UK TV shows call in relation to uninsured drivers - they are the holders / administrators on the "insured drivers / cars database" and the cops impound uninsured cars on their say so.

They run publicity campaigns targeting uninsured drivers or drivers whose policies are due for renewal

They pursue uninsured drivers through the county courts to recover costs paid out to the victims of uninsured drivers

They pay out on claims against uninsured / unidentified vehicles / drivers and they administer the Green Card Scheme for non-EU drivers in the UK

They have some sort of coordinating responsibility between the DVLA (vehicle & driver licensing records), the police (criminal records and intelligence), the insurance industry (funding and insurance records), and the UK's Dept for Transport. They return unused portions of their budget to insurers, who presumably pass savings back to their policy-holders.

It seems to be working well as their 2009 annual report mentions, with 177,000+ uninsured vehicles identified taken off the road via the database and 37,000 taken off the road via the MIB Police Helpline.

Their Annual Reports in PDFs make for interesting reading.
Yes actually does seem to be a better model now that I’ve read it a little better. Seems to be alot of cooperation between official bodies which is certainly not happening here. It took the gardai 4 days ( It happened late on a Friday Afternoon, so couldn’t get in touch with Shannon until Monday morning I was told ) or so to get a name for the vehicle registration from the Dept of Transport in Shannon of the vehicle that hit me, but by then I had located the vehicle myself. I bet if that was in the UK the police would have had the full details in seconds from a shared database.
I wonder could we adopt all of this without turning it into yet another useless quango costing millions?
I seriously doubt it, Would take an army of civil servants that would cost a fortune to pay to do a relatively easy job with perhaps the shortest working hours out there lead by a few undeserving highly paid civil servants who would possibly eat up the majority of any Budget this scheme would have to operate from!..

The UK also has a fairly inefficient system whereby the police have to check a computerised database to see whether a car they stop is insured or not. I frequently read articles giving out that the database isn't kept as up to date as it should be, etc, but never a suggestion that they have insurance disks like here (even allowing for the problem with forged disks).

I was shocked that they could actually claim as they obviously participated knowing the driver was underage and the car was uninsured. They went Joyriding, nearly killed 3 people and themselves and got very well paid for it in the end up!!..

I would assume the judge took this into account when assessing the contributory negligence (precedent: Judge v Reap)

I heard recently the MIBI is coming after the young driver for the monies they had to pay out, I also think that is wrong, If they are taking money from everyone’s policy to fund MIBI they shouldn’t also be allowed to take that young guys saving and future inheritance ( If any ) also to cover any compensation they pay out. Its either going to be funded by other policy holders or by the guy who caused the damage but I fail to see why MIBI can get away with getting their funding from both. Good system but would need a little tweaking..

I would hope MIBI do their utmost to recoup as much as they possibly can from the criminals they have to pay out to cover so that they can then reduce the cost to the insured drivers.

I heard recently the MIBI is coming after the young driver for the monies they had to pay out, I also think that is wrong

Why on earth do you think it's wrong that the criminal driver gets followed for the money that has been paid out because of his crime?

Back