Hit by another car

bigdee77

Hi guys,

This evening my car was parked stationary and another car reversed into it damaging my bumper. I saw it happen and he was driving off when i approached him. He accepted liability and said he'd pay for the damage without involving the insurance companies. I'm happy to do this but should i inform the guards and insurance company incase he doesn't pay up ? I don't want to end up chasing him for the money.

do you know him? Is he a neighbour? Did you get his phonenumber? Number plate? If so trust him get a quote for the work and bill him. I dont think the guards involvement is necessary. What is your judgement did he look like the type of person who will pay?

No I don't know him. I have all his details -name phone number and insurance details. I just don't want to be chasing this guy. if he doesn't pay up can I just contact his insurance company in the future? or would it be better to inform my own company & gardai now just in case.

in my experience i think you should get your car checked over and quote done on paper. Call the guy up let him know the costs etc and offer him copy of same. Try and agree with him taht he pays the garage up front or he gives u cheque etc before the work is done.

definitely play mr nice, it`ll keep the situation at ease.

Give him one chance to pay up on your quote personally. If he doesn't pay up within 7 days, report it to his insurance. The Gardai won't be too interested.

Definitely report it. What if he turns around and says you hit him? And you haven't even reported it? Dont think it wont happen, because it does happen..

...if he doesn't pay up can I just contact his insurance company in the future? or would it be better to inform my own company ...

Read your policy. I believe you are contractually obliged to inform your insurer of any accident.

The phrasing of this thread title reminds me of an old joke -

In the United States, a pedestrian gets knocked down by a car every three minutes. He's really getting fed up of it.

Had he left a note on your car before driving away? If not, how far are you prepared to trust a hit and run driver?

In my experience, a 3rd party will often make an offer like this at the scene but once the invoice including labour etc is produced a different stance is taken. I'd agree with Mr/Ms complainer above, get an estimate asap and give them a short period to pay up. After that report it to both yours (it is a policy condition that you do) and the 3rd parties insurer and follow normal procedure.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Television.

I work in the insurance industry and you are obliged under all motor policies by conditions to tell your insurer re any incident.

I would defo tell your insuranc co in case prob in the future they will ask why you didnt inform them and can refuse indemnity due to late notification.

Television.

I work in the insurance industry and you are obliged under all motor policies by conditions to tell your insurer re any incident.

I would defo tell your insuranc co in case prob in the future they will ask why you didnt inform them and can refuse indemnity due to late notification.
There is no indemnity or cover, unless the owner has comprehensive insurance.

Back