Historical ARF funds returns

Paul O Mahoney

Hi all . I have a question that perhaps someone could answer. My wife is now 10 years out from "retirement " and her employer is now enhancing their contributions once she increases her's, via AVCs, something that she wanted to do 10 years ago but circumstances didn't allow. I have built a spreadsheet model and have used each scenarios and have forecasted the total value of each option. I realise that forecasts are only a good as the inputs they are based on, but this was my talent in a former life., never more than 5% out.

Next phase is to calculate retirement income from 2030, I have carried out research on ARFs and annuities and am comfortable with my knowledge so far, but will gladly add to that knowledge.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where there is a tabulated history of annual returns. I appreciate that the make up of your fund will dictate this but we are 50/50 type people and would like a bit of risk. Her main pension is a DC and has grown 8.89% pa since 2011. Those funds are "moderate risk". We have a plethora of other smaller pensions, but I'll deal with those another time
Thanks in advance

Sorry should have said this is to educate myself and her, in understanding all the variables that need to be considered in investing a lump sum . She is a scientist and this kinda stuff isn't her forte.

Again any information would be gratefully recieved.

yahoo finance gives charts going back (at least 10 years) for major stock indices.

to go further back....

You could try the annual publication by credit Suisse “investment return yearbook” by dimson marsh and Staunton (can’t seem to get the link in here). The summary is free and gives aggregate annualised returns going back to 1969 and 1900 for various markets and bonds.

if you really want to get into the weeds you could look at the paper “The real return on everything” (widely available on the internet). This is very academic.

that’s all I can think of. There are question marks about some of the methodologies used in the above publications. So past performance is not necessarily a reliable guide to the past!

If you are looking for free, the best place to go is the life companies websites. They all have details of their funds and their performance history.

You can also get limited free access from MorningStar

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back