Hirecar in Australia

briancbyrne

hi,

am hoping to hire a car in australia in perth and driving to broome, and leaving the car there.
Can anyone reccomend a reasonable hire car company that operates out of Perth as have been quoted crazy prices for a weeks hire.

thanks

brian

The one-way fee (aka different drop-point) comes in at an eye-watering AUS$750.00 (+ taxes) - that's 150% of the 6-day rental on a Commodore. It would seem that Broome Airport is not a popular collection point for cars (with AVIS anyway).

There's also a 14% premium location charge (normal for airport car-hire desks IME). At AUS$1,600 in total, I'd risk buying a car and giving it away on my departure.

When are you going ? You can call all of the hire firms close to the time and see if they want any cars returned to Broome. They will give you a better deal if they want a car returned.

Go to the city of Perth as opposed to the airport. You cut out the airport premium rate so can be worth the cost of a taxi.

We hired a "return" car from downtown Melbourne to Sydney a few yrs back & got it at the normal daily rate.

Do you know anybody living there who might do a bit of phoning around for you ?

have been quoted 1400 which seems a bit crazy - the actual cost of the hire isint so bad but then they add on the one way fee and it sky rocketed - seems way too high for 5 days hire

Perth to Broome is a big drive. I did it with some stops along the way in 2003. Our biggest days driving was 1400km. You know you can't drive at night in a regular car in Oz right?

As regards suggestions, when I was there a number of friends travelled between cities by rining up campervan companies a few days before their departure to see if they needed vehicles brought back. I think they paid their own petrol, a very cheap rate and were given a window in which to bring the car back. Might be worth a try.

can anyone recommend good tours or routes to do in australia. Thinking of flying into sydney and just interested in holidat recommendations for a 3 week holiday

Thanks

Perth to Broome is a big drive. I did it with some stops along the way in 2003. Our biggest days driving was 1400km. You know you can't drive at night in a regular car in Oz right?

As regards suggestions, when I was there a number of friends travelled between cities by rining up campervan companies a few days before their departure to see if they needed vehicles brought back. I think they paid their own petrol, a very cheap rate and were given a window in which to bring the car back. Might be worth a try.

Why can't you drive in a regular car in Oz at night???

Why can't you drive in a regular car in Oz at night???

Because there is a big risk of hitting a Kangaroo. They come out at twilight / night and can just jump out on the road in front of you.

Locals won't drive much at night and I know a friend who had a lucky escape when they hit a kangaroo in their hire car.

Because there is a big risk of hitting a Kangaroo. They come out at twilight / night and can just jump out on the road in front of you.

Locals won't drive much at night and I know a friend who had a lucky escape when they hit a kangaroo in their hire car.

Oh right. Yeah. But any normal car is fine with a bullbar. But if you're careful, and keep your wits about you, you'll be fine even without one.

Most of my family don't bother with bullbars. We just be careful. Of course, sayin that, my little bro hit 6 roos and 3 cattle on the way home the other night. He's got a Landcruiser with bull bar etc, but it still caused 7k damage!

Back