Health Insurance Hip Replacement. Is 100% cover of cost in Whitfield possible?

AnneMc

I have been told by consultant in Whitfield Clinic that I need a hip replacement. With VHI who will only cover 80% of costs which means I will be liable to pay 3000 to 4000 euros!!!! Anybody know of any way round this???

AnneMc,

Welcome to AAM. What plan are you on at the moment with VHI?

Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb. Parents and kids plan. We have been with VHI for twenty plus years and renewal due November 30th.

Seems to me like you're thinking about this all wrong - their cover of 80% is SAVING you 15 - 20k which probably equates to most of what you've paid in premiums down the years...

Thanks Snowyb. Parents and kids plan. We have been with VHI for twenty plus years and renewal due November 30th.

There is an alternative to paying the shortfall of 3 or 4k, which may or may not be a practical option for you in the circumstances, but worth considering.
This surgery is fully covered in the Blackrock Clinic, Dublin, with your plan 'Parents and Kids'.
While VHI cover 80% of the cost of surgery, Blackrock Clinic are waiving the shortfall, on a range of plans across the board.
Parents and Kids plan is included on this list of plans, so there is no cost for surgery at all.

However, it would incur the cost of seeing a new consultant and having another scan done and the expense of travel etc.

They have a very helpful free phone-line to assist with all queries or concerns 1800 60 10 60.

http://www.blackrock-clinic.ie/about-blackrock-clinic/freephone-enquiry-line/

Regards, Snowyb

You could also discuss your position direct with hospital. One hears of hospitals doing 'deals' with patients

As a follow on to the above information, hip replacement surgery is also fully covered in the Mater Private, Dublin, with VHI Parents and Kids plan.
Again, they have a concessions programme for a list of various plans which means that the 20% shortfall is waived by Mater Private.

Details as per their website as follows;
https://www.materprivate.ie/about-us/insurance-cover/

Snowyb

A friend is having hip replacement done shortly at Vincent's private and wondering if anyone was has tried doing a deal with them. He has 80% cover and has already paid over €3,000 to the Beacon to have the other hip done

Back