Higher charges for insured patients ?

sandrabing

Okay so myself and one of my friends have the same medical condition. Both see the same consultant and were both sent for an MRI in the same place for the same reason. I have VHI and she does not, when I received my claim statement it shows that my insurance company paid almost twice what my friend did (in cash) for an identical proceedure.

Anyone shed any light on this ? Is it really true about milking the cash from insured patients?

What charge are you talking about here and are you sure that the amounts are in respect of exactly the same services in both cases - e.g. it could be the consultant's charge, the MRI charge, accommodation charges, other in/out patient charges etc.

I might be wrong but my understanding is that the Health Insurance Company agrees a schedule of charges with the Healthcare provider.

What charge are you talking about here and are you sure that the amounts are in respect of exactly the same services in both cases - e.g. it could be the consultant's charge, the MRI charge, accommodation charges, other in/out patient charges etc.

absolutely certain. Just talking about mri charge and nothing else

normally the charge is alot higher for uninsured patients, it's like a commercial charge where they can charge you what they want,however if you are insured with one of the insurance companies they have a set charge that they pay for mri scans, orany other scan, x-ray, test etc..
usually it's the person that does not have cover, pays alot more...

Were you both admitted as inpatients, or were the scans conducted as an outpatient procedure? Was the MRI carried out by the same radiographer? Did one of you need a contrast agent administered?

Were you both seen at the same time? It seems odd that someone with no private medical insurance who is subject to public waiting lists can be seen at the same time as someone with private medical insurance.

If you are still in doubt, check with VHI - you're paying them enough, so if you have any queries, ask them. As Ajapale and Scuby have said, if the place where you had your MRI is a participating centre (i.e. they participate in a payment agreement with the insurance provider), then they will have agreed to a schedule of benefits with your PMI provider.

Back