High risk-high return

Z

Zacchaeus

Could anybody please tell me a few options to get the most out of my full ssia. I have no bills as such and dont mind taking a big risk if the returns are reflected. Any comments and ideas are most welcome.

Do some research and invest in shares directly, otherwise pick a fund that invests in something like tech stocks, biotech/pharma, emerging markets.

Of course taking a big risk means that nothing is guaranteed, so be prepared to lose it all if necessary.......

I have little or no out goings. I still live at home. I have to pay for food, petrol, small amount of rent and that’s about it. Don’t get me wrong I am not planning on staying here for ever but with the way houses prices are and the fact that I like the area I currently live in(and have done all my life) I don’t plan on heading down the country just yet.

Sooner the better really but realistically up to 10 years. No more.

If I was investing for that sort of timeframe I'd start by looking at low charges unit linked funds, possibly index trackers rather than managed funds.

But was is your goal? Will you be depending on your return from this investment to fund a house purchase? Or can you afford to lose it all?

Emerging markets are always a high risk/return gamble, and some have been better than others, but the Indian and Chinese markets appear to be the ongoing flavour at the moment. Do some research and see who has a fund that invests there, as direct investments into those markets would probably be impossible, and certainly very difficult to monitor. I do know that Fidelity do a combined fund and this can be accessed via Irish Life. There may be others too! There may be some hefty fund management charges (2 to 3% p.a.), but IMHO that's a small price to pay for their expertise in the regions and the stocks selected. Its a very high risk investment though, so although excellent returns are possible, so are dramatic falls. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I believe Rabo direct are launcing a chinese fund and/or India.Might be worth checking out.

Bear in mind that Rabo's charges are not the most competitive (0.75% on entry. 0.75% on exit and 0.7-2% annual management fee).

Bear in mind that Rabo's charges are not the most competitive (0.75% on entry. 0.75% on exit and 0.7-2% annual management
fee).

Nor is the tax position on their accounts particularly favourable (you're on your own basically).

Chinese market crashes today. High risk eh? Whats worse is it's had a knock on effect on all markets. Time to get those pacemakers serviced.

I suppose the clever ones will be waiting to jump in when it bottoms out.

Back