High Gloss or Oak kitchen

That was origianal plan....cream gloss walnut wood sides ...and it looks great in the showroom....also happy with the oak but maybe next time if its still in vogue!!!

I had a white high gloss kitchen in my last place and I loved it. It seemed to give the room more space (all in the mind of course) and it kept the room bright. Put an Oak kitchen into my new house 3 years ago and I hate it. The high gloss gives it the wow factor and the Oak is just dull. My kitchen is so depressing compared to my old one.

If only I had my time back...............................

We went for a white high gloss but millenium cream granite so that the look was a bit different and hopefully won't date as quickly as black granite and white.

Have to say, I am stunned how much brighter the room looks.

I would tend to agree, go for what you like rather then what will last. If you like it, you won't care.

Hi,
[FONT=&quot]If you are thinking about getting oak flooring for your kitchen or any other high traffic area, then it is advisable to use only solid oak wood or the engineered oak wood for the flooring. This is because they do not get spoiled easily by a water spill like the normal wood floor.[/FONT]

.. solid wood kitchens regardless of timber dont date. high gloss will only be a very expensive phase. afterall shaker kitchens were first fitted by pilgrims in america. also if you do go for a a high gloss door beware of warping on some of the longer larder doors especially the narrower doors ie a 295 x 1240 on a pull out larder or on a tall int fri/freezer door
....sorry, don't agree with that at all. I'm sitting about 50ft from an '80's solid wook kitchen, and it has dated terribly.

ive seen a few gloss kitchens. i wouldnt recomend them from what i see the gloss dorrs fade quite a bit. the kitchens were from reputable companies.
Most often cause of that: wrong cleaning agents (e.g. Cillit Bang - an acid.....)

Oak all the way........it will never date
not so. It's the design that dates, not the material.

Our house is a country house, it had to tie in with other houses in the area so looks cottagey/farm house. IMO a high gloss kitchen would have looked wrong so we ended up plumbing for an oak kitchen and flagstone type tiles. I love it and it looks right in the house. Though have seen some absolutely fab modern kitchens which sometimes make me question our decision but they'd have looked wrong. I've also seen very expensive Italian kitchens not stand up to the wear of very young (albeit very destructive) younguns.

Well, unless you can see the kitchen from outside, why does it have to match the outside at all ? In fact, that's an even better reason to NOT have it match the outside.

Galwaytt agree with the comment that it's the design of the kitchen that keeps it in style rather than the finishes used. But disagree totally that it doesn't need to match with the house. The house deisgn generally suits the individuals personality so therefore the kitchen must reflect that, if the style of the person is country the kitchen and decor in the house will be country too! Also the high gloss won't fade if the correct products are used on it...you should only use warm soapy water on any kitchen doors (be gloss or timber) as most are a laquered finish! Any of the other cleaning products have chemicals in them which will detroy them, a cleint of mine had a cleaner in and she sprayed detol or jif or something like that on all of her hand painted kitchen doors and then went back to clean them down, but by that time the doors were destroyed and the kitchen had to be totally repainted!

Back