High efficiency storage heating or alternative

E cork

Would welcome advice re heating a Granny flat. Living room 24sqyds, Bedroom approx 20sqyds & bathroom - maybe 10sqyds. Living has two windows & 2 external walls, bedroom 1 external wall & one window & bathroom has two external walls & small window. Currently have old storage heaters in bedroom & living room & wall fan heater in bathroom.
Have been looking at Dimplex Quantum & Lucht heaters. I need to make the right decision.

You only have to heat as much as is lost, i.e. replace the lost heat. If it currently has old storage heaters, then what are the chances that the insulation/windows aren't up to spec, either in the walls or roof, if there is one?
The biggest bang-for-buck is to maximise the insulation, then (if it were me) I'd look at a small wall mounted heat recovery vent. (Because once you insulate and stop any draughts, i.e. uncontrolled ventilation) then you will have to address the humidity/ventilation issue). Only then would I look at what heat source to use.
But that's just me :)

You only have to heat as much as is lost, i.e. replace the lost heat. If it currently has old storage heaters, then what are the chances that the insulation/windows aren't up to spec, either in the walls or roof, if there is one?
The biggest bang-for-buck is to maximise the insulation, then (if it were me) I'd look at a small wall mounted heat recovery vent. (Because once you insulate and stop any draughts, i.e. uncontrolled ventilation) then you will have to address the humidity/ventilation issue). Only then would I look at what heat source to use.
But that's just me :)

I really hadn't given enough thought to insulation & while I had new roof done last year with really good insulation I hadn't considered the walls & windows. As a result of your reply I will work on that area before I make any decision. Heat recovery vent sounds good ( it's an old house) so have to consider what disruption installation would cause. Many thanks Buddyboy.

Back