High Court Rules NPPR IS Tax-Deductible

No need to wait Bronte, you now know what you need to do!

Common now Ceist Beag, I decided on the four year deadline for the first year to claim it. So I've nothing to do. I got my tax deduction. As far as I know most landlords did.

If the NPPR was a deductible local authority rate (as per the High Court) then it had nothing to do with Revenue. Why would Revenue issue a briefing or flyer on a charge that had nothing to do with them? You can't have it both ways Bronte.

I actually think the fact that Revenue are establishing an online facility to make claims for 2013 pending the outcome of the appeal is something that should be welcomed - not criticised.

Why should they get praise for doing what they are supposed to do?

In any case if they'd let us know their legal tax advice, I'd have more respect for them. And I suspect the IT is bang on the button about their reasons for an appeal.

Why should they get praise for doing what they are supposed to do?
Revenue are setting up an online facility for the convenience of impacted taxpayers - they are not under any obligation to do so.
BTW Sarenco, a bit of a slip there. Mandelbrot, any issue with Sarenco calling it a 'local authority rate'?
No slip Bronte. The High Court held that the NPPR was a rate payable to a local authority and hence deductible. Do you disagree with that finding? I don't.

Guys, you have probably debated this enough.

I have not been following it. But discoveries and insights and advice after the first page of a thread will be missed by most people.

Would someone volunteer to do a summary of the story in a new thread?

What should landlords who have paid the NPPR do?

Brendan

What should landlords who have paid the NPPR do?

If they didn't include NPPR as a deductible expense on their income tax returns, they should submit a tax refund claim now (or at least as soon as the online notification facility is in place).

It won't be processed by Revenue until the outcome of the Court of Appeal decision is known but it preserves rights that might otherwise become time-barred.

If they didn't include NPPR as a deductible expense on their income tax returns, they should submit a tax refund claim now (or at least as soon as the online notification facility is in place).

It won't be processed by Revenue until the outcome of the Court of Appeal decision is known but it preserves rights that might otherwise become time-barred.

When can the Court of Appeal ruling be expected to be delivered?

Just for information. In late Jan/early February I wrote in to FINGAL revenue using "my enquiries" on ROS giving details of this ruling and requesting a refund for 2013 on 5 properties. A refund was given to me within a week.

By way of update, I submitted a claim for NPPR on a few properties for 2013. It was not challenged and I got a deduction in tax liability.

Just for information. In late Jan/early February I wrote in to FINGAL revenue using "my enquiries" on ROS giving details of this ruling and requesting a refund for 2013 on 5 properties. A refund was given to me within a week.

Do you mean you got a full refund?

I'm completing tax return for 2016 and including a deduction of NPPR payments that were previously disallowed. I assume that this is an allowable expense on ROS within the 4-year rule?

Last edited:
I'm completing tax return for 2016 and including a deduction of NPPR payments that were previously disallowed. I assume that this is an allowable expense on ROS within the 4-year rule?

I don't understand what this has to do with your 2016 return?

You need to seek an amendment of the relevant prior year(s) returns.

Back