High Court Challenge to Household Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorfBank

THE HIGH Court has granted leave to challenge the household charge on grounds that the legislation underpinning it has not been published in Irish.

[broken link removed]

The government will probably just publish the legislation in Irish before they due date 31 March!

The challenge should have been kept to himself until 1st April!

Most statutory instruments are not printed in Irish - at least not for several years due to a backlog. This is just grandstanding by someone. No hope of succeeding - remember that all he has achieved is permission to take a case. And even if he wins, all that he will achieve is forcing the Government to translate a few pages of a S.I. immediately - hardly going to stop the charge.

It's not going to stop the charge but it undermines confidence.

The government must have known this tax would be met with resistance so
you would think they would do everything they could to make is run as smoothly as possible. So far:

1) The website is rubbish so you have difficulty paying it
2) According to people on AAM they would not even be aware of the charge only for this website.
2) It's not published in Irish so it can be challenged in Court.

Well done lads. I am having great difficulty trusting you with another €100 of my hard earned money.

It's like giving a fiver to the poor drunk who says they'll get something to eat.
Deep down you know they won't but you feel like you have to give it anyway.

It's not going to stop the charge but it undermines confidence.

The government must have known this tax would be met with resistance so
you would think they would do everything they could to make is run as smoothly as possible. So far:

1) The website is rubbish so you have difficulty paying it - not the case anymore
2) According to people on AAM they would not even be aware of the charge only for this website.- i would take that with a lorry load of salt, how many people on AAM don't watch the news, listen to the radio or read newspapers, even then leaflets have been distributed.
2) It's not published in Irish so it can be challenged in Court. - the challenge will fail

Well done lads. I am having great difficulty trusting you with another €100 of my hard earned money.

It's like giving a fiver to the poor drunk who says they'll get something to eat.
Deep down you know they won't but you feel like you have to give it anyway.

If we'd had a property tax we wouldn't be in as much of a mess as we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back