"Hidden cistern" toilets OK?

Toby

Does anyone know much about toilets? Picking bathroom fittings now and considering toilets where the cistern is hidden behind a panel (think they're called "Back to wall" toilets). Does anyone know of any reason not to get these e.g. are they hard to maintain, are they less effective at flushing. Any other points to consider when picking toilets?

Thanks.

Having moved into a new house, the flush mechanism on my new toilets are a two point flush mechanism, once flush is for erm liquid waste which uses less water, while the other is ahem for is for solid waste. Also when the cistern is refilling there is no noise as there is a plastic tube from the inlet to the base of the cistern. Two features I would suggest looking out for.

As hidden cistern may cause problems should there be a leak or if it needs maintenance and I tend to see them in public places to prevent tampering I suppose

A leak on a hiddern cistern is a potential problem.

By the time you notice it's there, damage is likely to have been done.

... and more importantly, how do you get the Bloo Loo thingy's into the hidden cisterns so that you have nice coloured water to pee into???

I recently moved into an apartment where space is at a premium.

Notwithstanding the limited space available, the cistern is hidden behind a wall but is accessible via an access panel built into the wall of the adjoining room.

Visually, the bathroom looks neater, and the access panel isn't that unsightly (you could always cover it with a picture, etc).

Bottom line though is that you need to allow for some sort of access. Some sort of maintenance (even to replace the ball-cock) is likely to be required at some stage.

Save both energy and space by installing a high cistern with pull-chain. Yup! The old ways were best in many respects!

I can't get bloo loo into my two-flush toilets because the lid thing won't come off. Is there a special method for getting the lid off?

Lid won't come off?

If it's the push button type (2 part button in the Lid) you'll have to unscrew it, simply turn the whole button anti-clockwise.that should do it.

I have this 2 button in the lid and there is loads of space to remove the lid and place it on your knees whilst sitting backwards towards the wall, the flush mechanism is a wire with enough slack to allow the lid be removed

When we moved into our new build house early last year we had the builder replace the standard toilets with fancy, slim line Italian push button, water saving flush toilets (not hidden cistern but very narrow cistern - looked very cool in the photos)

This has turned out to be a nightmare - whether through the fault of the plumber or the design they have never worked properly.

They take ages to refill after flushing, water is constantly dribbling from the cistern into the bowl, the water pressure is minimal (you need good water pressure to get rid of "stuff") and the inside bits are fiddly and fragile when I go in to try and fix anything.

I think part of the problem is that these continental toilets are designed to work with higher standard water pressure than we have in Ireland.

Next time I will go for a "bog" standard toilet (boom boom!)

efm

efm, I had the same problem with water dribbling from the cistern, but a quick 6 second job from Mr on site plumber fixed that problem. Haven't noticed any other problems although the water pressure is ok. Is there some sort of a pump you could install at the top of the house to increase the pressure. Or would it be cheaper to get new loos (not that this would necessarily fix the problem).

Will let you off with that bad pun as its before midday!!!

Just tried again and definitely can't pull off the lid. Tried unscrewing the 2 button thing and it started to move but then got stuck. I'll get my boyfriend to give it a go later.

Why not going for a pressure flush ? No tank , no energy wasting by warming up cold water in the cistern only to flush it away . Grohe and other companies are selling them.

All cisterns bring in cold water . Therefore you would have a " radiator " cooling your bathroom . That causes condensation and mould . And wastes energy .And space , even more if you put it behind a specially constructed wall/panel. Cisterns are something from the 19 th century. Not modern , not comfortable. And it takes a while to refill , letting someone sitting or standing and wait when there is demand ....

"how do you get the Bloo Loo thingy's into the hidden cisterns"

Have you read the wrapping on these things? I am fairly sure that they contain the warning "EXTREME HAZARD TO MARINE LIFE" or similar. If you live in a once-off house with septic tank, or indeed if you live inland and your local sewage treatment plant ultimately discharges into inland waterways, I would think long and hard about whether it is worth having blue water and a sanitising odour at the possible cost of damage to the ecosystem.

Well said MOB! I stopped using all proprietary cleaners and bleach when their effects on the environment became apparent. Elbow-grease and physical cleaning (and house-cleaning with energy not chemicals means you don't have to belong to a gym)

Back