Hibernian Ignition Course

D

decbuck

Did anyone do this. What does it involve? I saw on the website that it is class for a few hours and then a test. Whats the test like?

Was the pass rate high?

And what percentage did you get off your insurance?

I did the one for the motorbike so not exactly what you're interested in. The instructors rate you after the course after taking you out on the road for a bit of instruction and then letting you do the driving, easy enough to pass. Course was from around 10am to 5pm. Got a genuine 15% off my insurance in the form of a refund (it turned out to be over 15% but I didn't complain). I would definitely recommend it. Courses were on in Citywest Hotel for Dublin, not sure where other venues are.

Hi decbuck,

I did it a couple of years ago when I got back from Oz.
Load of crap to be honest. It's interesting in terms of what they show you in the morning. It certainly heightens your awareness etc...

The 'test' in the afternoon is nothing to worry about. Try to remember how you drove in your driving test and you'll do fine. I believe the failure rate is quite low. At least that's what the guy I had told me anyway.
You have to drive around the city with him and he will point out weaknesses you have etc...The guy I had made me talk out loud everything I saw in front of me or on the footpath. I thought it was stupid at the time and I still think it's stupid. I guess other people might take more from it though.

I wouldn't be overly worried about it though.

Sorry...I can't remember what % I got off my insurance at the time.

In terms of what you'll save yes definitely.

I think the minimum they can discount if you pass is something like 20% although if you ring them they'll clarify this.

Yeah it is minimum 20%.

Just wondering if the 20% is ever higher? Only a weeks witing list so might do it next week.

As far as I remember you can achieve up to 40% discount. Again...that's from memory. I think it's rare though that anyone achieves this sort of discount and if I was a betting man I'd bank on the 20%-25%.

[broken link removed]

There are certain other restrictions, notably that you either have to have passed your test within the past five years and have no convictions on your full driving licence, or have passed your driving test more than five years ago but have no previous insurance and not entitlement to a no-claims bonus. Oh, and people with cars over 1600cc needn't apply.

So, no discount for someone with a 1.9 diesel, clean full licence and 15 years of claims-free premiums paid... :rolleyes

Basically the scheme is intended for younger/less-experienced drivers who would otherwise be quoted silly premiums. Fair 'nuff, I suppose...

I did the ignition course a few years ago. when it was relatively unknown / just launched.

I had been getting quotes from €2500 - €3200 for a 1.3 corolla. Full License 1 year, First time insured, no named driver experience, age 25.

My broker arranged for me to go on the course after securing a quote for €1400 (down from original quote of €2720) based on successfully passing the course.

so yes for me it was definitely worth it.

Ignition V's Motorcycle Ignition

I thought it strange that they restrict motorcycle ignition for anyone with penalty points but seem to omit this for car Ignition!
Why?

Re: Ignition V's Motorcycle Ignition

I did it earlier this year. I got a 20% discount.

I learned some good stuff from it. That said, a lot depends on your attitude going into it, and, I'm sure, on the quality of the instructors. I'm a dad in my mid-thirties and safety is one of my main concerns, given that I have to drive my family around every day, so I went into it wanting to learn. I'm guessing that a lot of the main target audience, the boy racers, just go through the motions to get their discount and come out of it at least 99% as thick as when they went in.

At the start of the morning session, there was video footage of a motorway accident in the UK which was designed to shock people into getting into the course content. It was a pretty damn scary crash, but nobody was killed or seriously injured (thankfully) , so for the most part that isn't going to shock your average 19-year old bloke.

Back