Helpful tips for landlady to be!

hokey32

Hi folks,

Two years ago my mother left me her home in a midlands town in her will. Having been unable to sell it over the past several months and with winter now approaching and not wanting the house to be left idle over the cold months I find myself in the position of having to rent it out and become a landlady.

Having read over some of the posts on this site I'm now terrified!! I know nothing about leasing properties, vetting tenants, dealing with problem tenants, tax etc. I wonder if any of you long term landlords could provide me with useful websites, tips for becoming a landlady etc. I am in Dublin but the house is in Tipperary.

Thanks in advance,
H

I'm sure there are plenty who will advise you well on here.

Little bit from me: Always ask for references and follow them up..
A few quick calls can save you a lot of hassel in the long run.

Just found this it has lots of advice for landlords..
[broken link removed]
Good luck with it

Last edited:
Look up the prtb to give you all kinds of information on tenant's and landlord's rights and obligations. Read the section that deals with the results of PRTB orders/determinations to give you a gist of what being a landlord is about.

Threashold also has information.

Daft.ie also has info and is the best place to advertise.

The Irish property owner's website is another good source.

Revenue.ie - rental income, in relation to taxation matters. As there is no mortgage you will have to pay tax. You would need to understand this.

I'd seriously advise you to use an accountant the first year to set you on the right road.

I don't recommend you use an agent to let it, do it yourself. Get a good deposit, take pictures and make sure you check out your tenant's really carefully.

AAM has loads of experiences of landlords and tenants. Most stories you hear are the bad one's but that's natural as you are not going to hear about all the happy landlords and tenants who are in the majority.
Being a landlord is not for the fainthearted. There are repairs, refurbishment, letting maintenance costs plus the taxation.

You need to do the sums. Are you sure you wouldn't be better off reducing your selling price ? Without figures it's impossible to figure this out.

Cat101 thanks for the tips.

Complainer, unfortunately I've seen Pacific Heights a couple of times which doesn't help matters!

Bronte, thanks for website info. I would much prefer to sell the house. I don't think I have the disposition to be a landlady, plus both myself and my husband work full-time in Dublin and also have a young baby so travelling up and down to Tipperary is not convenient. House value last year was €240k. Was marketed earlier this year by the auctioneers at €170k. They have had no enquiries about any houses on their books in months. There had been a few enquiries early on in the year about properties but prospective buyers couldn't get mortgages from the banks....not sure what other avenues are open to me.

If money isnt an issue then i'd recommend getting a letting agent to manage the property. I know it is an extra cost but it means they will get the tenants for you and manage any issues they have in the house, as well as chase up any unpaid rent etc..
As you are not near the house it will save you a lot of hassle.

You'll still have to manage the agents but it is much easier to deal with them than dealing with unruly tenants.

As a tenant and having almost rented out a place I used to own, there are a couple of practical tips regarding the finer detail of the house and its contents which I think should be part of the standard advice.

Furniture and contents:
If there is anything in the house that is especially valuable or that you particularly want to keep - ie. an antique, big plant, favourite chair, whatever, remove it. It is too much of a risk to let someone else mind it the way you would and it is unreasonable to expect that they should.

You could store furniture covered up in the loft if necessary, but make sure the agent (if you use one) is specifically asked to tell the tenant not to touch anything you have stored in the loft (let the tenant have access to the loft).

If you need to decorate the house, paint it in neutral tones rather than papering. Paint is less personalised, cheaper and more easily redone than damaged wallpaper. Similarly, if you need new flooring, replace carpet with cheap&cheerful laminate flooring - much cleaner and much harder to damage.

Agents usually like you to 'dress' the house with nice pictures and ornaments etc., to make it feel homey for prospective tenants, but in my experience these are best removed on securing a let as tenants often have their own pictures etc. and it'll save them asking whether or not they can add more picture hooks etc, to put their own things up.

Do a full inventory and condition check on the place and get the tenant to do the same - these condition checks are invaluable in case there's an issue over damage.

If there is a fireplace, make sure it works and the chimney is clean. Tenants will probably want to use it even if its not been lit for years.

The law now states minimum standards for furniture and equipment, and that's great - but don't put too much into the house tho cos less in the house means more scope for the tenant to make the place their own and its less for you to worry about. This means it's a good idea to ask the tenant what they need you to supply. Many tenants now use all their own kitchen equipment and have their own TV - meaning you don't necessarily need to leave these things for them. Make sure all that you do leave is detailed on the inventory.

Please, please make sure that:
  • All blinds and curtain poles are securely attached - have had several fall on me
  • That the cooker and microwave are clean and work - have had lets where these have been unusable till deep cleaned.
  • That you leave a full set of instructions about how to work the central heating - for both winter and summer settings - no two systems are the same.
  • If you have a garden that you would like the tenant to maintain, then leave a lawnmower - tenants bring a lot of things, but not normally a lawnmower.
  • Tenants interested in houses often have children - sometimes young children and they'll want to put up things like stairgates and nursery fireguards (which'll require holes in the wall). Clarify whether or not this is needed with the tenant/agent at the time of the let.
  • be practical - if you have for example an unmarked cream-coloured carpet in one of the rooms, this is hard to keep clean at the best of times and is unlikely to still be unmarked after a let. Consider changing this sort of thing.
Establish the procedure surrounding the house early on - i.e. if you want to deal with repairs etc., yourself, then leave your contact details for the tenant along with any advice. if you wish the agent to do all that, then make sure this is in place at the time you engage them and work out with the agent the cost/parameters of how this will work.

All that should make things a bit more straightforward

Back