Key Post Helpful links for a clean pc

before downloading the anti-spyware you should download this small 1.4mb file from here www.spychecker.com/progra...xpfix.html the antispyware is is a beta version and may interfere with your winsocket settings and you wont be able to connect to the net. download this beforehand and then just run it afterwards and it will sort it out no probs. it is worth it though, it got rid of stuff norton couldnt on mine.

Edited by ClubMan to change all uppercase to lower case.

spyware

thanks for this thread. The computer has been **** lately but downloaded Yahoos antispy and its going great again. Nothing like a good spring clean I suppose. Thanks everyone!

usefull software/websites

Great post Car, very usefull. I have actually been working on a colaboration of usefull software, websites, tips & tricks. I'm still working on it but everyone should learn somehting new:

[broken link removed]

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them: info (at) zascar.com

Re: usefull software/websites

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them: info (at) zascar.com
  • Burnatonce - small simple CD/DVD burner (free)
  • JGSoft - various useful packages including EditPad[Pro] a really nice text editor (commercial)
  • Cygwin - free Unix like runtime/development environment for Windowsix86 builds of various GNU packages (free)
  • [broken link removed] - an excellent "live CD" bootable version of Demin GNU/LinuxKnoppix (but based on Debian sid packages only) and easily converted to a hard disk based Debian installation or just handy for admin jobs (e.g. non destructive repartitioning etc.) (free)
  • Dependency Walker - handy tool for checking executable file dependencies on DLLs etc. (free)
  • Ethereal - network sniffer/analyser (free)
  • [broken link removed] - various (free)
  • OpenOffice - an office productivity suite (free)
  • PCInspector - various administrative utilities (free and commercial)
  • [broken link removed] - a network (dial-up) connection monitoring and problem diagnosis tool (free)
  • VNC - a remote desktop access utility (free)
  • 7Zip - a compression utility (free)
  • [broken link removed] - and improvement on the default Windows Task Manager
  • [broken link removed] - various (free)
based on derived from (free)

free

good list zass. May I recommend you put babble beside skype. Its the same thing with some better/some worse features.

Re: free

The 16 best freeware utilities (from Clubman's list) is now available as [broken link removed]

I can also highly recommend joining the mailing list - lots of interesting stuff every month.

that 46 best freeware utilities is excellent, I'll put a link to it in the clean pc post which is due a bit of review anyway(Id still stand over the yahoo anti-spyware vs the MS one). Id seen the boards one before, its a bit more general with links to gaming and OS s/w, Id say we've everything covered available between the 3.
The boards one did give rise to something tho, any opinions on locking this thread leaving just the first post? Submissions then coming from a PM or a normal post as this one is starting to get a bit unwieldy.

Re: ..

The boards one did give rise to something tho, any opinions on locking this thread leaving just the first post? Submissions then coming from a PM or a normal post as this one is starting to get a bit unwieldy.

I think that we should leave it open and one of the moderators can eventually consolidate the list into one easy to reference post.

Re: >>helpful links for a clean pc

Thanks Car, that's very useful. But how do I interpret the results? e.g., I get a report from Belarc, I click on the CIS benchmark score, this gives me a rating as to how secure my system is. The issues are given as links, and I can understand and address some of them, but others, even with the benefit of the info in the links, I know that it is telling me to do something, but what?e.g., Audit and Account Policies or Event Log Policies

Any Ideas?

Ooops, answers were at the top of the page, links were putting me in the middle. All sorted.

What a great thread!! Thanks everyone.

Re: Key Post: helpful links for a clean pc

I have eircom braoadband home starter which has upgraded to home plus.
When im downloading files its fine but when clicking from page to page it
takes ages 10 to 15 seconds. I rang them and done a speed check which
was fine and he said my side was the problem. Can anyone help?
I have AVG AntiV, Zone firewall, Adaware, spybot and windowwasher installed and updated, dont know what the problem is!

StartupMonitor is a handy tool...[broken link removed]. Bascially informs you if any program tries to set itself up in your startup folder or registry. You can block or allow it.

Also snoopfree at [broken link removed] tells you if anything is trying to read your keystrokes or get a lock on your screen (as in captures etc). Be warned though, it is a little zealous and will warn you about many harmless programs. However, you can keep an allowed list which will minimize the annoyance after a while.

sounds stupid but have you defragged your drive(s).?

Also give your caches/temp folders a good cleanout. CCleaner (listed on this topic) and CleanCache are handy tools for doing this.

Sculdugery said:
I have eircom braoadband home starter which has upgraded to home plus.
When im downloading files its fine but when clicking from page to page it
takes ages 10 to 15 seconds. I rang them and done a speed check which
was fine and he said my side was the problem. Can anyone help?
I have AVG AntiV, Zone firewall, Adaware, spybot and windowwasher installed and updated, dont know what the problem is!

Here is a registry setting for Windows XP to get Defrag on to your context menu. I have tried it and it works a treat. Not really sure if it works with Windows 2000 or other Windows OS

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times] Create a new Registry import file named context_defrag.inf in Notepad (be sure to save with it with the Save as type set to All Files and not Text Documents) and place the following text inside:

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]; context_defrag.INF

; Adds Defrag to the right click context menu in Windows XP

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=AddMe

[AddMe]

HKCR,"Drive\Shell\Defrag\command",,,"DEFRAG.EXE %1"
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]Then, right-click and choose Install.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]This will add a context menu to XP that allows you to automatically defrag drives, using the command line version of the built-in defragmentation utility.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]To use it, navigate to a drive in My Computer, right-click, and choose Defrag.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]A command line window will appear, and that drive will be defragged. When it's complete, the window just disappears.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]To remove this functionality, Open regedit.exe and navigate to the following location:[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]Then delete the Defrag folder and close Regedit.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]This tip and other tips are on the following site[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Times]Windows XP Tips 'n' Tricks
[/FONT]

[broken link removed] is a very useful tool for using a browser (or any other application) in a secure/sandboxed environment.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,27725,backpage= (How to clean an infected computer)

A clear, helpful, recently updated 'how-to' I came across while trying to get rid of [broken link removed]...:mad:

It explains how best to combine anti-spyware, anti-malware and anti-virus software (all of them free programs listed above) ...to remove even the most stubborn stains!

what was the matter with my original post? Im sitting in the corner...hrumph..

Back