Help with welfare entitlements - going self employed

ceribabe

Hi there, can anyone help with this query? My contract at my work was not renewed so I have decided to go self employed. My husband is claiming jobseekers allowance, I do not expect my income to exceed 250 a week whilst i'm self emloyed - I used to bring home 310 a week. will we be entitle to any more with me as a qualified adult? Will me going self employed affect the current payment my husband gets?

Also - do you think we could qualify for any additinal benefits, ie med card, rent allowance? Thanks

Can anyone help here? Any help is much appreciated! thanks :)

There seems to be a lot more help and advice out there if you were already unemployed and starting up a business. I do know if you apply to your local 'Area Partnership' they will advise you and can help you start up and advise you of you entitlements. http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/dirapc.htm They work with the department of social and family affairs and run the 'The Back To Work Enterprise Allowance' scheme allows people who are in receipt of Social Welfare payments become self-employed while continuing to receive their Social Welfare payments.

Back