Help with tick problem!

Shepherd

My poor dog seems to be getting a lot more ticks than usual this year. I usually use a product called Frontline (I think thats the right name)applied to the back of her neck but it seems to have no effect whatsoever. The last application was only three weeks ago and we are constantly finding new ticks on her.
Can anyone recommend something else? Not only are these things disgusting but the poor thing is always scratching because of them. Thanks.

Strange since Frontline is one of the best for controlling ticks and fleas.

I would recommend you was her with flea shampoo, really give her a good scrubbing with it and leave it on for a little while if you can (Not very easy, I know)

Then leave it two or three days and then reapply frontline again.

When you've finally cleared the ticks Shepherd (and I wish you luck... they're persistant little blighters!), you might put a flea and tick collar on your pooch... I always use one on my mutt, and despite being in contact with places and poches where there are ticks, he's never picked up one (yet!)...

Of course, some dogs don't tolerate flea collars, and they're probably not fool proof, but it's an extra option...

If push comes to shove, I'd say your vet can treat whatever lodgers the bow-wow's carrying at the moment, and then you can start again from scratch... If you, and more importantly, the poor pooch will pardon the pun!...:D

Darth...

Have you also seen those devices that claim to attact ticks and fleas? Its like a small lightbulb (warmth) and a sticky pad underneath, it supposed to be good for the home. I wonder if they would help any bit.

Let us know how you get on with her, she'll love the vigerous wash anyway!

Probably best to wash or throw out her blankets, disinfect the kennel/basket etc. As there may well be tick eggs there. As I understand it, frontline is only effective for one month for ticks, but you are not advised to apply more often than every two months!

To get rid of the ticks, best thing is to kill them with cooking oil, or, as I found when I had to get a tick off my son's head, spray sun-tan lotion. Cover the area well - the oil or lotion will suffocate the tick and they will fall off or you can pull them (carefully including the head) off with a tweezers - leave it about a half-hour to make sure the ticks are dead.

Certain dogs seem to be more prone to ticks than others. I got something in the vets last year which was new the vet said as I did'nt find the frontline great either although I've put frontline on the dogs lately and it did the job perfect. I found that new stuff last year good but I don't know the name of it. Seemingly vaseline will smother them also.

ticks are usualy found in wooded areas and long grass,try to keep your pooch away from thoses areas.i was bitten by one while pregnant and got very ill,just be carefull.
when you remove the ticks use a tweezers and grab tick as close to the head as possible,dont pull it out.twist the tick so the head comes out also.

PYRETHRIN SHAMPOO i heard is good.

Go anti-clockwise with the tweezers to remove the head. If you pull clockwise, there's a chance the head will still remain on the dog.

Back