Help with renewal, Glo gone way up and no free kids!

Monbretia

I need some advice on this year's renewals.

Now firstly on my own I was on Laya Simply Connect and happy enough with it but reading threads here I have decided to switch to Laya Simplicity which for a few quid more is giving me better cover especially on the day to day stuff, good move?

Now the bigger problem is another family member, I got good advice here before and went with Glo as she had baby but free kids seems to be gone and the Net Most plan that was 1,195 last year for both of them is now gone to 1,355 for her and 230 for 2 yr old. To add another layer to it there is another baby due within couple of weeks, renewal date is 1/12 with Glo.

My first thoughts are actually that the Laya Simply Connect that I was on is better value than the Glo Net Most in this case and there was quite a few physio type costs through the year and only got 25 back due to excess etc, would get more back on Simply Connect. Is there any other plan I should be considering for an adult, 2 yr old (3 in April) and new baby which should be here before renewal date so free to first renewal could be mighty bad value!

Any info much appreciated, I have gone through HIA but too many to compare, rang Cornmarket and they are suggesting Select More with IL but I think the Laya one is still probably better value wise.

VHI are best value at the moment for children, One Plan Family; price 156 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered.

[broken link removed]

For the adult, the following plans are good value and worth considering;
1. Laya Control 300 Create; price 1042pa(from 1/12/2017) all public, private(including private room) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Good day to
day cover included. Private excess per admission 300, day case excess 125 per visit.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1171pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150 x 2 max for admissions and 50 per day case procedure. Good day to day cover included, max refund 300 per person.

3. VHI PMI 43 16; price 1170; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150 per admission, or 50 per day case procedure.
Good day to day cover included.

[broken link removed]

NOTE; children can be insured on their own with VHI if you want, an adult is just named on the policy but just the children are insured. VHI are the
only company to allow this. So the adult can choose a different company if it suits.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks so much for that, very helpful as usual.

What's the story with the newborn? Glo told me yesterday it would be free until next renewal (is it the same with them all?), now it's due before end Nov and renewal is 1/12. That would be mighty bad value to only get a couple of weeks free, bad timing! It looks like will definitely be changing from Glo so is it possible to say switch to Laya/Vhi now with immediate policy start date and then baby will be free until next renewal? Or is that trying to be too cheap :)

Regarding the newborn, it's the same with all companies - free until next renewal.
Its too late at this stage to change renewal date as November's payment is already made.
It would also be pointless as it would mean paying an extra month for nothing which would be practically the same cost
of the yearly premium for a child. The actual birth date of a baby is hard to predict, you never know it may work in their favour.
The way it works is that you have 13 weeks to add the new baby onto your policy, so if she waits until after 1st December to add the new baby
onto the policy it should be ok.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks again for the info. Policy is actually due for renewal 20/11, just rang Glo to check, Cornmarket had told me it was due 1/12, don't know why there was a discrepancy there. The policy was paid for in full upfront last year so basically I if I start a new one tomorrow with any of the others (probably laya for adult) I am just losing out on 9 days of cover on the original Glo policy rather than a full month as such.

I know the date is impossible to predict but today's update is pointing towards earlier rather than later!

With the revised date of 20/11/2017, the above option 1 Control 300 Create will not really be a runner at the current price, 1146pa.
There will be a price reduction from 1 December, just to bring that to your attention.

Snowyb

Thanks for that, was talking to Laya, the limit on the outpatients costs on Simply Connect is going up from 300 to 500 from 1/12 which means I might leave my own on that, was going to switch to Simplicity, still thinking about it! :)

If your renewal is 1/12/2017, its an option to consider Simply Connect with the increased day to day. If your renewal date is before 1/12, the
increased day to day will not apply. It only applies from 1 December 2017, just something to watch out for.

I go through the same decision making myself every November, mulling over the same 2 plans as yourself. In the end, I settled for Simplicity
this year as it has a lower excess for private admissions; 100 vs 150. Sometimes, its a small detail that can swing a final decision, depending
on personal circumstances at the time. These 2 plans are very similar re hospital cover and price. It depends what details are important to
you, both plans tick all the boxes.

Snowyb

Back