Help with getting standard Irish Stations via aerial

T

tfarrell

Ok, Im VERY new to this so please bear with me if this has been posted before and at my complete lack of knowledge!

Anyways... I am trying to hook up a telly for my 84 year old Granda who has no pipe. He use to get RTE 1 & 2, TV3 & TG4 on his old telly but that fell so Ive bought him new telly yesterday along with a weird looking aerial thingy! However with the new aerial I couldnt tune in any stations at all so I replaced it with my Grandas rabbit ears and I could tune in RTE 1 & 2 perfect.

My question is, am I doing something wrong that I cannot get TV3 & TG4? Should I really try get an outdoor aerial for him? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. I am in South Dublin. Ive been trying now since yesterday but I cannot get the other two stations. Am strongy thinking of paying for his NTL for a year and not staying anything to him (would flip out giving those kinda companies" any of my money :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need too search the UHF band for tv 3 & 4, maybe rte 1 & 2 are on UHF in Dublin, but in some parts of the country they are on VHF, so check that you are searching UHF.

If the aerial worked with the old telly, then it should work with the new one.
Are you trying auto tune or manual tuning, if you are trying one, then switch to the other.
best of luck with it

You need too search the UHF band for tv 3 & 4, maybe rte 1 & 2 are on UHF in Dublin, but in some parts of the country they are on VHF, so check that you are searching UHF.

On that point, make sure the TV has a dual VHF/UHF tuner.

Tuner quality on modern TVs is pretty crap, you may have to go for a larger loft or roof mounted aerial to get a decent reception.
Leo

Cheers for that peoples... will have a look again today. Would you believe he brought the telly back to the shop and gave out to them. He thinks a new telly should get all the stations, even tho I have explained 20,000 times thats its whats the aerial picks up. Thanks again!

Back