Help,what to do with two baby starlings

Zippy

A starling has nested in the apex of our roof, her young are approx two weeks old. Yesterday two of the nestlings fell into our attic, it is impossible to return them to their nest, we have been feeding them succesfully on cat food(dry food soaked in water) and moist bread. They seem to be doing very well, and I imagine it could be another week before they are ready to fly. It is not feasible for us to keep them around as we have two cats and numerous strays in the garden. Currently we have them in the cats travel cage, but they need to be let out to hop around to strengthen their wings. Does anybody know what we should do. Would the ISPCA be of any help?

Could you lift a roof tile and put them back in the next? I think it's really nice of you to care for them and feed them, but good luck teaching them to fly!

Yes - the ISPCA will come and get them and nurture them until they can be returned to the wild.

yes best to call the ISPCA, usually if you handle a chick the parents will abandon it and if you go near the nest they could well abandon the rest of the chicks that are already there, best stay as far away from the nest as possible.

Thanks for the advice, I contacted the ISPCA but unfortunately there is nothing they can or will do, surprise surprise. Looking after them for a few days is not a problem but long term what am I to do.

wow - Im very surprised that the ISPCA wont do anything. I dont know where you are in the country but you could contact the place on the link below - I googled wildlife resuce in ireland and these places came up - there is a Birdwatch Ireland link in there:

[broken link removed]

Chicks die all the time. The death of two starlings will not decimate the general population. Hand rearing them will probably not be possible and would probably render them unable to fend for themselves.

...who like nothing better than nesting in house eaves, returning year-in-year-out, and doing their business all over the place.

Ok shall I leave them in the garden and let them take their chances with the local cat population. Forgive me for being kind hearted and wanting to do the best possible thing for them.

It's important to realise that only a small proportion of chicks survive.

There really is nothing you can do about the ones that don't survive. They go back into the food chain.

It would be a terrible waste of resources for the ISPCA or Birdwatch to try to do anything about them.

The natural human response is to try to help and kids might enjoy trying to hand rear them, but it probably won't succeed and so will end in tears. It's probably a horrible experience for the chicks as well.

Brendan

Ok shall I leave them in the garden and let them take their chances with the local cat population. Forgive me for being kind hearted and wanting to do the best possible thing for them.
Well done Zippy for trying to save them at least.They may well survive and if they do lets hope they crap on the clothesline of those posters who advise just letting them die!!:p hehe.....best of luck, keep us posted!
P.S. a local vet would let you know of the best way to deal with the situation.

Ok shall I leave them in the garden and let them take their chances with the local cat population.
If you were not around that is what would have happened anyway. Let nature take its course. It's not like Starlings are an endangered species or anything. As Brendan says attempting to hand rear them or whatever would probably just delay the inevitable.

On the other hand, caring for them might be a useful exercise if the OP has kids to teach them the value of life and that they should look out for weaker creatures. Personally, I'd look after them and try and nurse them to maturity.

When I was young a swallow chick fell from it's nest, I looked after it for weeks and loved it, until my sister's cat eat him, gutted! hate cats since!

When I was young a swallow chick fell from it's nest, I looked after it for weeks and loved it, until my sister's cat eat him, gutted! hate cats since!

You should have eaten your sister's cat...that would have learned them good! :)

Back