Help please on receiving Fax

A

andy

I bought a Lexmark X6170 all-in-one from Lidl (no customer service) - printer, copier, fax, scanner. I can send a fax, but I cant get it to receive one. Using a shared phone/fax line. I have set it to receive fax "manually" as per instructions - when phone rings - pick up - hear fax tone - press # - hang up & fax is supposed to print. But not happening. Person sending the fax gets message on his machine, that fax has not been sent. My machine is set for touch-tone dialling method.
Help appreciated
Andy

you may have too many things connected to your phone line this would drop the voltage on the bell circuit and the fax cannot hear the bell (thats it roughly).Each device has a REN rating and generally 4 ren is the max before this type of problem.You could try disconnecting your telephone to get an incomming fax call to lower the ren used. Other typical Ren ratings are Answermachine Ren 1.5, Burglar Alarm Ren1, Modem Ren 1.5.
Then again this may be of no help but I hope it is.

Rogermure
Thanks. Does your explanation explain how outgoing fax will work OK, but incoming wont. Waiting at the Lexmark for incoming fax - machine makes a noise like it is attempting to print the fax, but goes no further. I only have phone, PC & Lexmark on the phone line. Do you think if I disconnect phone & PC, it might receive fax.

I would try that I would send ok if the ren thingy was the problem but it won't answer the call if the ren is overloaded.

The REN number would be in the Lexmark hand book and the Telephone would have it on the label stuck to the underside of the phone . again I'm not sure this is the problem but it is worth a try .Good luck

I have just read the manual online for your lexmark it would seem that your best setup to test. is to setup automatic answering to get your first fax. to do this on the allinone select fax- options- automatic -then answer on one or two rings and try to get a fax.
If you try the manual answer route, then the way your telephone is connected becomes critical .It appears you must connect your telephone to the all in one telephone outlet at the side for this to work.
It's looking like the ren is not the problem.But you may be getting faxes already?

Receiving and printing a fax are two different things.

You say that when the phone rings, you pick up, listen for the 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' from the other fax and then press # to start the receiving process.

At this stage you should hear your fax going "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" and the two faxes start doing the fax thing.

As long as you hear the handshake ("eeee" "iiii") begin you should be OK, unless there is some basic problem with the handshake - like your fax is set up only to receive certain standards of fax. I can't remember the details (because most/all faxes just send/receive all the variations), but if your fax and the other fax can't agree on the setup details then no fax will be sent.

However, if it appears that the fax is being received (the line stays up for 60-90 seconds for example, or you can hear an ongoing "eee" "iii") but not printed then you might need to check that there is toner/paper in the machine.

Are you able to use the photocopy function on the fax ?

z

rogermure & zag
Thanks for your perseverance. I set the lexmark to automatic & it received fax OK. When I reset to manual it still wont receive fax. Leaving set to automatic is not an option, because anyone trying to phone me will hear a fax tone. I have 3 phones in 3 rooms on the one phone line. The phone I am using to receive fax for manual setting is cordless phone connected via base unit to lexmark. I also tried to receive fax at manual setting using standard phone (non cordless) - no joy.

Well it looks like the REN thing again.
I don't know where to get a ren booster but I have seen the problem solved another way.
The main telephone supplied by Telecom has some electronic parts inside for them to test your line from their exchange to your house you could try connecting your fax to this outlet and if that works (there is a good chance it will) you need to get another one of these boxes and fit this in place of or beside the outlet for your fax
I have seen this working on a fax before with a similar problem and I hope it works for you

Back