HELP please identifying this house worm / grub / insect..

Plek Trum

Hi all,
I have spotted numerous little dead 'things' in an old house that we are considering purchasing. Its an old farmhouse, renovated and extended.

Engineer says no visible sign of woodworm but upon close inspection today I found LOTS of these dead little grubs / worms. Approx 5mm to 15mm in length, all located in corners / edges of wooden window frames, in corners (all wooden floors) and near skirting boards.

They aren't all over the property and certainly we did not see them upon first viewing, house has been empty for last few months.

ALL help identifying them would be hugely appreciated before we proceed further! As before, all of them are dead.

Worm8.jpg

Worm7.jpg

Worm5.jpg

I have other pics but I think the above give the general idea. Not pleasant and really would appreciate any confirmation you guys can give = HUGE thanks!

haha - surprisingly enough they didnt bother me but the creepy curly creatures did! Pictures are close ups, spiders aren't that bad (I hope).

Someone suggested centipedes - I dont think so, they are in groups / clusters and seem to prefer corners of wooden windows, shelves and or skirting board to wooden floor.

Have spent ages googling and no definitive answer. Anyone????

They are millipedes.
Absolutely harmless and def mot woodworm.
Adult woodworm are silver and move v fast. Not really worms at all.

Roytheboy - Thank you!
Seems to be them alright, would you be concerned that we have them (dead) both upstairs AND downstairs? Its a stonebuilt old farmhouse with wooden walls / floors, was extended 8 years ago. One area has a problem with slugs which we put down to a leak in the roof, secured leak and laid pellets.

Would you be worried to have them, to some degree) in ALL rooms? Any idea of best way to treat?

I love in a townhouse and these guys (and bigger and redder ones) regularly pop up. They come into my bathroom, and are harmless. I just pop them back out the window. Most are herbivores and eat decaying plant matter, but some eat insects. I would check for damp and check if the wooden windows are rotting, as that could possibly be a food source for the herbivores.... I am no expert though! They are completely harmless and cannot bite you or anything, but like silverfish and wood lice, can point to a more serious issue. I have slugs living under my kitchen sink unit and feed them cat food when they pop out at night! All these seem to like damp conditions, so I would look into that if I were you. If using slug pellets, please be careful of any domestic pets and wild birds, as they are lethal to them too. Dispose of any dead slugs and snails carefully so as not to poison thrushes and other birds.

Last edited:
They are millipedes, I have them in my garden walls, garage and earth. They seem impossible to get rid off, I use ant powder to kill them. They die off in winter and are back in the spring, they come out at night. My neighbours have them also, its an epidemic!!! I sweep up hundreds of dead a week!!! If you get rid of them let me know how! Thanks

Hi,
I call these wireworms, I have noticed them on my tar as well. I got in rentokill who eradicated them. I wonder are they a new breed as they are all over my soil, i notice them whilst out gardening. They are especially underneath my cover to prevent weeks

Back