Help Please - Debt Disaster

hi all, thanks for replies! My partner wouldnt really be suitable for a job in a callcentre as no pc skills whatsoever! all he has ever done since school is labouring or construction work and then got the bricklaying qualification with fas. Maybe it sounds like a cop out but even if he wanted that type of work who would give it to him with no experience. Also the 'etiquette' (for want of a better word) in an office would be quite different to that of a building site!

As for the working time directive stuff, its a bit unclear to me. The particular piece of legislation regarding 'double jobs' could be interpreted in a number of ways. Like it says its the responsibility of the two EMPLOYERS to ensure the employee does not exceed the average max weekly working hours between them, but it doesnt specify over what duration of time do you measure this 'average'. Like if I keep the second job up for 6 months and measure my average week worked over this entire year, ill be fine. However if I were to measure the last month my average is 62 hours a week with the two jobs and so therefore Im way over.

anyone know anymore about this??

As for the working time directive stuff, its a bit unclear to me. The particular piece of legislation regarding 'double jobs' could be interpreted in a number of ways.

Could someone here give us details on a situation where an employee was 'caught ' for working in excess of the working time hours .............and what were the consequences of that ?

• Suspension ?
  • dismissal ?
  • fine ?
  • jail ?
Is the '' Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 '' really been implemented ?

Like it says its the responsibility of the two EMPLOYERS to ensure the employee does not exceed the average max weekly working hours between them, but it doesnt specify over what duration of time do you measure this 'average'.

Simply don't tell each employer about the other job - it's none of their business. Instead of supplying a P45 or P60 to the second job, just find out the second job's employer number and inform Revenue about it. Revenue will send a document to the second employer which will indicate correct Standard Rate Cut of Point etc, but this doc will give no indiction that you have another employment.

Could someone here give us details on a situation where an employee was 'caught ' for working in excess of the working time hours .............and what were the consequences of that ?

• Suspension ?
  • dismissal ?
  • fine ?
  • jail ?
Is the '' Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 '' really been implemented ?
It's there to punish employers who try and force employees to work too much, not to punish employees.

i think your making a mistake by puttin all your hopes in the credit union i love the place but they dont know you from adam and they wont touch you i can assure you, tell your partner to sell his truck if its not bringin in any money and get a job in mcdonalds..

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the transfer of credit card balances,I have 2 cc's with mbna and would like to transfer even one to a 0% cc for 6 months,could my wife get a cc and transfer my balance onto her card? I don't really want any more in my name!!! Plus she's much MUCH more money conscious than me!!

Thanks for any help guys.

hi all, thanks for replies! My partner wouldnt really be suitable for a job in a callcentre as no pc skills whatsoever! all he has ever done since school is labouring or construction work and then got the bricklaying qualification with fas. Maybe it sounds like a cop out but even if he wanted that type of work who would give it to him with no experience. Also the 'etiquette' (for want of a better word) in an office would be quite different to that of a building site!

It really seems to me that you are doing all the leg work to get out of this situation? I mean, is your partner applying for every possible job? You don't necessarily need any PC skills to work in a shop / supermarket or even as a previous poster mentioned - McDonalds... Is his pride standing in the way of helping out?

It really seems to me that you are doing all the leg work to get out of this situation? I mean, is your partner applying for every possible job? You don't necessarily need any PC skills to work in a shop / supermarket or even as a previous poster mentioned - McDonalds... Is his pride standing in the way of helping out?

If your Dublin Based I believe that IKEA are going to start their interview process in about two weeks time. I don't think they will be looking for too much experience for the warehouse/floor staff...

Has your husband tried for work in any of the larger DIY Stores it might suit them to have a qualified tradesman on hand to talk to customers rather than spotty faced teenages.Might be a Good place for him to pick up some nixers also.

Hi thanks for the replies. Yes, I believe he is applying for everything and anything. Im not at home enough now with the two jobs to actually supervise or witness this, but he says he is and Ive seen the automated response emails coming in. He had an interview for Ryanair and we are still waiting to hear back. He also had two warehouse op interviews but the feedback was that guys who were more experienced in the warehouse area got the jobs. Employers now have their pick of people and I think it might be fair to say, are getting very experienced people at excellent prices. I am currently recruiting myself as part of my role in job number 1 so Ive seen it first hand!! I think the DIY store job is a really good idea. Will have a look and see. Ive also openend an E bay store the other day - selling all the stuff we have accumulated over the years - part of the reason why we are so badly in debt I suppose! Anyway, sure it cant do any harm!!
Yes, Im p*ssed off shouldering the burden of this and it makes me angry that I have absolutely no time for myself but if the shoe was on the other foot I'd hope he would do the same for me. Also, who else is going to bail me out of this mess only myself??

Actually sorry i meant to ask... we were thinking of selling his truck and getting him a car and then applying for a PSV licence for him to do taxi work. does anyone know how long this takes, how much it costs and is there any money to be made in taxiing at the moment? I have a good contact in a taxi firm who says he has work but he needs the psv licence. Any help much appreciated!!!

I applied for a PSV licence last Oct and got my test date this week for 6th Mar, I didn't know when applying that there are only few windows during the year when applications are processed, first 2 weeks of March/June/Sept only so if he was to get all the necessary documentation ready he could make the March deadline for application.

With regard to is there money to made in taxis these days, i don't honestly know i've heard conflicting reports on this but i sincerely hope there is otherwise i'm back to the drawing board. My wife and myself both work full time and have a 2yr old in creche but we are still finding it hard to make ends meets each month so the taxi was part time work for an extra few quid,we'll see what happens.

Good Luck with everything fio1978.

Sorry fio1978, meant to also say that selling his truck and buying a car might not be a great idea because he will still need to buy a taxi plate for €6k+, i plan to rent a complete taxi at first and see how it goes rather on spend a small fortune on a dead duck.

Ive also openend an E bay store the other day - selling all the stuff we have accumulated over the years - part of the reason why we are so badly in debt I suppose! Anyway, sure it cant do any harm!!

what's the name of the store?
p.s. hang in there - sounds like you're making progress. lots of people made the mistake of spending money they didn't own. fair play for the effort you're making to sort it out.

quote "we were thinking of selling his truck and getting him a car and then applying for a PSV licence for him to do taxi work." unquote

Related to the DIY store idea, would your other half think of using the truck for a delivery service for local business. He has the vehicle so its a matter of getting the name and face out there.Also the initial cost is a lot less

Later on he may need a a hauliers licence but he can do a evening course to cover most of the paperwork required

best of luck

Westgolf

I used eBay to sell all my household 'rubbish ' too and I made over € 2,000 .

Do tell!!! What sort of stuff did you sell? Clothes, old furniture, toys, 'stuff'? I need to do a massive clearout of accumulated junk and a couple of people have suggested ebay but would be interested to see how you found it. Especially handling the postage side of things.

Can I suggest www.adverts.ie as it is for Ireland, and Dublin in the specific. No fee to register, no fee to advertise there, no % to pay on successful sales. I have done great deals on adverts and can recommend it.
(no affiliation to the website whatsoever)

Do tell!!! What sort of stuff did you sell? Clothes, old furniture, toys, 'stuff'? I need to do a massive clearout of accumulated junk and a couple of people have suggested ebay but would be interested to see how you found it. Especially handling the postage side of things.

If you look around the house and open drawers , you will find plenty items to sell on eBay . Most of the items I sold cost less than € 15 to post .......and I believe the Post Office have an agreement for discount with eBay , although I never used this option .

Here are some items I have sold in the past :

• CD's
  • DVD's
  • Books
  • Magazines
  • Jewellery
  • Perfume
  • Playstation
  • Games for Nintendo/PS1 / etc
  • Handbags
  • Stamps
  • Old Coins / Old Notes