Help-New house measurements!!

Sarah

Hi all,

I just thought id ask coz im in a bit of a pickle. We are buying a house in Athy which is a 4 bed and i have to go there tomorrow so i can measure for blinds and curtains. Can anyone please help me out on this as im not the most clever when it comes to this stuff...i need to know how to measure for roller blinds patio blinds and curtains. I want to give these measurements to a blind company and then pick them up and fit them myself...is this possible and more importantly is it hard to do? And lastly (thank god says you!) can anyone give me a price range for how much this all might cost?

Thanks a mill for your help

Sarah

Hi Sarah: Good luck with the new abode. Don't make the mistake that we made when we were moving to our new house a good few years ago. We took all our measurements in the showhouse - which unbeknown to us was a couple of feet larger each way than the house built for us. As a result we ordered way too much of everything. You could ask the blind company what exact measurement they want e.g. the window size by which I mean the "hole in the wall" rather than the actual PVC/Wooden window. They should be able to calculate the blind size, taking brackets into account. Similarily I suggest that you measure the window (hole) size and perhaps the dimensions of the wall and where it is located on that wall. That should give them an idea on what length ("drop" I think is their phraseology) curtains to make for you. And be clever - bring somebody with you to help hold the tape measure as well as add their two cents to your ideas. Two heads are better than one etc..... and that's what causes arguments :D

Hi again,

Thanks a mill for all the advice...and sorry about the duplicate post, i posted that first then registered and thinking that the other post would be deleted i posted it a second time...sorry! So can i just give a blind company the measurements and then get the blinds in and put them up myself? Thanks for the tip about the show house...coz thats where we will be measuring from!!! Any pricing info on how much these bad boys are gonna cost me?

Cheers again everybody!

any good blinds supplier should offer to measure for free....in fact when i was ordereing wooden blinds they were nearly insistant that they come round and measure up as they seen too many that just fdont fit, due to bad measurements. as for a price well that depends on size quality design etc etc , i paid around €1200 for 4 wooden blinds, two large, two medium, price including fitting.

Hi Sarah,

We moved into a house 6 months ago and paid €800 for 1 wooden, 3 venetian, and 5 roller blinds - this included measuring and fitting - I would advise getting the company making them to measure - at least then you would have some comeback if the blinds didn't turn out right!

Molly is right in what she says. In any case when ordering anything made to measure never use the showhouse example, always measure the actual window/ floor of the house you're buying for. I used to fit blinds as a chap and the way to measure for them is as follows: Measure from inside reveal to inside reveal, if the reveals are uneven measure at the narrowest point. For height measure from top of window reveal (head) down to window board, the manufacturer will allow the tolerance for fit, simple as that. For fixing the blinds it is preferable to fix the brackets/ clips directly into the frame as this avoids drilling masonry and use of plugs etc. On a large job I would make up a small template out of cardboard so that brackets/ clips were spaced evenly on each end and for every window, no one else will see but it looks neater and actually speeds up the process.

Hi Sarah,

Whilst Carpenter's explanation/instructions are excellent (as usual) I wouldn't attempt to measure for blinds myself and I've made curtains many times down thru the years. Its also quite tricky to fit them because if you make a mistake in drilling the frame there's no goin' back especially if its PVC.

When I got my blinds the girl who measured the windows had a very handy gadget specifically used for measuring and I noticed that she did them twice even tho' she does the job all the time.

Perhaps a read of the key post on Blinds might be helpful.

Back