Help me stop smoking!

Well done Jambr, think of me I wont go to the cinema because they banned smoking, I then gave up going out to the pub, too wet and cold,the last drink I had in a pub was 22 DEC last with workers at Christmas break up, any celebrations are now held in house, and just 3 weeks ago I got banned from my sitting room due to a new baby grandchild, I banned myself, I still go through 40 to 50 a day and other half gets 20, thats 70 a day we buy,thats 24.67 a day out of my wages which is €172 a week and almost €9000 a year I have worked it out and I cant afford to drink so I must just sacrifice the pub and cinema and holidays,I wont work where a smoking ban applies, You see if you put your mind to it you could still smoke, I wont let the fags or anyone get the better of me although I get a bit wheezy at night I'll never give them up,You see the willpower you need and the willpower I need, Its all about willpower so best of luck Jambr,

Congratulations to the OP - If you have (or plan to have) kids, you will reap the dividends of your decision many times over.

First few weeks are the hardest.
I'm off them since new years day.
If you make that concious decision to quit, you can do it.
I smoked for 14 years, about 20 a day.
Woke up new years day and said no more.
Tried to quit times before, but lookin back, deep down I didn't want to really.
Don't let yourself fall into the trap of "ah sure I'll one with a pint" etc... before
you know it you'll buy 10 fags, then it'll be 20.
I was on the rollies for most of those 14 years.
Previous occasions of trying to quit, I would take a smoke from a friend next thing I
was buying 10 fags a day, the head then was defeated so I bought the pack of rollies
cos it was cheaper.
As said previous, take up a hobby, I now play football a few times a week and took
up playing the guitar.
Anywho, best of luck and just keep thinking what is the purpose of smoking, eh?

Anywho, best of luck and just keep thinking what is
the purpose of smoking, eh?
I always liked this quotation:
I'm glad I don't have to explain to a man from Mars why each day I set fire to dozens of little pieces of paper, and then put them in my mouth. [SIZE=-1]MIGNON MCLAUGHLIN[/SIZE]

Willpower is the key. Also take up/increase exercise. Its eurphoric to breathe easier and work out harder without getting short of breath. I remember reading that when you give up you shouldn't acknowledge the day you gave up eg 2 wks today. Apparently smokers link the anniversary with a celebration and this can be a negative factor as smokers associate celebrations with lighting a cig. Could be codswallop but it made sense to me when I gave up.

congrats on giving up. it's so hard to do. I tried to give up several times. What finally kept me off them was the thought of ever having to go through withdrawal symptoms again. For me it was 4 weeks of hell as each drop of nicotine was squeezed out of my body craving and begging to be replenished! I used to be so affected by the withdrawal that I swore I would never go through it again . It worked. That was in Jan 2000.

Thank you for all your support and advice. I am still a non smoker, three weeks tomorrow. It has not been too bad but have had bad moments. Using Nicorette gum when it gets bad but try to do with out it most of the time.

Seven weeks today and still not smoking. Over Christmas wasnt as hard as I thought and its much easier now. I still get the urge to smoke but can deal with it.
Thank you all for your help and support.
Jambr

Well done. Forgot to say that my wife also used the helpline once or twice and found it a useful source of solace - c. three years on and she said that she still feels that she should call them to report a success!

I gave up 5 years ago.

Found that going to the gym at the time really helped - I originally started to lose weight, but I really got into it and the 'my body is a temple' mind-set...every time I thought of smoking I thought about how hard it would be to exercise the next day, and how it was ruining my body!

Good luck to everyone who is giving them up.

Back