HELP - Leak in Toyota Rav 4

MBoyle

Can anyone help me please?!? I have a 02 Rav 4 and it has developed a leak in the Drivers side - with any rain the floor gets soaking. It doesn't seem to be coming in anywhere except down near the floor. It is driving me mad - I've been trying to find where the leak is getting in, but to no avail! Any idea or Has anyone had the same problem? Please Help!!!!

Could it be a rubber gromet underneath the carpet, it may have perished or fallen out and when you're driving the wheels are constanly throwing water up into the hole.

No, I'm afraid not. A puddle of water develops when it is sitting in the drive in the rain - without driving it at all. I'd love to hear from someone who had the same problem and solved it! Thanks for the suggestion though!

Could be a leak in the windscreen seal. Dry it out, place newspapers under the carpet, then run a hose on the windscreen for a while. See if the water gets in. Or it could be a door-seal. Try joining a toyota owners website. I'm currently trying to track down a leak in the boot of my car, so I feel your pain:(

Thanks 3Dolls, I will try your suggestion... At the moment I have a big sheet of plastic over the windscreen to see if it stops the leak, I'll let you know if it does. If I could even figure out where its coming from it would be a start! Yip, it's painful - I'm gona have to invest in a pair of wellies if I can't find the cause!

I once saw a similar leak in a Golf. The drains in the engine bay under the windscreen had blocked up and the rainwater built up into a little pool which then flowed back into the car and ended up on the drivers floor.
Best to check out all drains are free and clear of leaves etc.

Hi Beldin,

Can I check if the drains have blocked myself and how do I check it? Or would I have to take it to a garage to get it checked? I'm trying to locate where the leak is getting by covering over parts of it - I had a huge sheet of plastic over the windscreen and top of the bonnet lastnight, but again today there is a pool of water!

Really annoying! I'll check the drains if I can!

Cheers,

J

Hi Jupiter,

i found this thread while searching the same problem on the net. My RAV4 has developed the same problem. Did you find out what it was. I need to get mine repaired as the amount of water i am getting in the footwell is horrific.

Would appreciate it if you found out anything more in the end

rgds

[broken link removed]

have a look there. there are further links within the thread, but i'm afraid it looks like a very common problem..

good luck.

Back