Help! Hot water tank (immersion) is leaking.

Slash

The hot water tank has sprung a minor leak. At this stage, the boards under the tank have a damp spot about 3 inches square. No sign of any water damage on the ceiling below (yet!).

What are my options here? If the copper tank has a crack, can it be repaired, or is replacement the only option?

If replacing, how much is a new immersion, roughly?

Going to call in a plumber tomorrow, but would like to have some useful information before he gets here.

Thanks.

When I moved into my house my hot water tank had a leak and I had to get it replaced. Repairing it didn't seem to be an option for some reason. I also had to get a few other plumbing jobs done (nothing major but 3 other jobs). Total cost was €1,000. I hope this helps.

A 36 inch factory insulated copper tanks should cost about €200. Fitting it will require the existing tank to be drained down, removed, replaced and re-filled.

Copper is expensive these days, so the old tank has good scrap value.

If the cylinder is not factory insulated and depending on where and the extent of the leak, it maybe braized to repair it.
Generally though if the cylinder itself is leaking, a new one is required.
A standard replacement factory insulated cylinder would be supplied and installed for approx €450 incl VAT.

Back