Help - gift for 21 year old employee

This happened where I worked a few years ago.
The staff did a whip around for a present and the company added to it.
We bought some token gifts and the rest was in a voucher.

We had cakes in the canteen and a short presentation which was fun.

If you want to avoid just handing cash over, my 21 year old daughter enjoys going out to dinner with her boyfriend / friends. A voucher for somewhere good that can be spent on food & drink - and can be seen as funding an evening out with her friends (rather than with old geezers)

I would like money and time off work at that age , 200 in a card and been told you can head straight home you don't have to work your shift (but will still be paid obviously) would be a very nice gesture in my opinion.

I would like money and time off work at that age , 200 in a card and been told you can head straight home you don't have to work your shift (but will still be paid obviously) would be a very nice gesture in my opinion.
This is a great idea. But instead of cash, the voucher is better tax wise.

I've a part time employee who is 21 next week.

peemac - do you give presents to all the employees for their birthday? If this one employee is being singled out (from your point of view due to the good work that she does), as getting a present from their employer while other employees do not, then that *MAY* be seen as not the right thing to do. I've no idea what the work set up is and don't assume anything either way, but you shouldn't be selective in such circumstances.

I'd agree with above in relation to a pay rise and contract when they finish their course, but offering money for a birthday may not be the correct thing to do, especially if no one else gets such, for their (special) birthdays. Again, maybe it's just a perk of being an employee at your place of work - €200 for a birthday

Was off line for a few days.

Yes we do give decent gifts to all part-time employees on their 21st birthdays especially if they are with us over a year. - We also go to the parties :) but sit with the oldies and go home early :) :)

We are a family business, wife involved too so no inappropriateness.

It's not as urgent as we got the date wrong - it's next month.

She has been with us for 3 years and really has excelled for us.

Would love to have her full time when she graduates - but she's planning to be a teacher.

Can't give her a payrise as everyone else doing the same job would have to get one and we pay well anyway.

We are getting her an two night glamping voucher.

Last edited:
When you're buying for a close friend or family member, I'd agree. This however is an employee bonus; and for OP that's how you should present it, as a work bonus & not a gift.
I use that phrase "get something they'd love but would not buy themselves" because it's the business I'm in and it's how we'd advise customers.

Back