HELP!gas boiler stopped working when i bled rads

morpheus

Hi all

This happened my boiler yesterday,

I was bleeding the radiators because some of them were air-locked.

On one of the rads the air release valve came off suddenly and quite a bit of water shot out. drowning me and the floor and spraying nice dirty water on the walls.

I got the valve back in, but noticed then that my gas burner shut off.

I dont know how to restart it. there are 2 dials on the panel, left most has 3 settings, reset - Off - heat (well its a strange squiggle icon i assume means "heat" or "on"). I moved it from heat to reset and then back to the heat setting it had been at but nothing happened. I notice the bar pressure dial is reading zero and imagine this is related to the issue.

I read somewhere that this can happen after a sudden drop in water pressure, i.e. my sinking submarine re-enactment with the water valve.

Do I need to put water back into the rads or something?

I thought that the heating system would replace the lost water itself but this hasnt happened... help please!!!

I am not a Gas Installer but the same happened to me and there was a valve on my boiler that I turned to put pressure back into the boiler. There's a web page here that explains the concepts better than I can. I think it depends on what type of boiler you have as to whether it's water or air that you reintroduce to the system to get the pressure back up but I'd try that lever thing if you have one.

Sounds like water stopped reaching the boiler and the overhear switch went.

It may come back in it's self after cooling down (give it 4-5 hours) or there may need to be switch you need to push.

there should be a little pressure clock on front of your boiler and the dial hand should be reading between 1 and 2.
you should have some mechanism for topping up the water in the system, it would seem there is not enough water in the system now that you have released the air. there will either be a valve under your sink or under your boiler. really depends on the make.

as Mosstown said - the pressure in the system has dropped below the minimum required - find the fill valve and open it until the pressure rises enough.

The fill valve is usually either at the boiler or near the hot press (if you have one). Mosstown is right by the way.

Back