Motor help for a dad please

ronnach

Appreciate help on a bit of a complicated one!

I have a company car that doesn't allow the kids to drive it. So about 6 months ago I bought and insured in my own name a polo for my 19 year old son and daughter. They were named drivers and no problems.

Now I want to buy another car as they are fighting about the polo. Can I do the same thing again? i.e. own it in my name and have a named driver.

My son got his test, the daughter hasn't done it yet but they both need their own car?

Or should I get the car(s) in their names now?

Sorry for the long-winded question.

You'll be a busy man (and lacking a great deal of credibility as a proposer IMHO) if you are the owner and main driver on two cars with young named drivers on them and the use of a company car. Tell them to get their own cars and insurance if they have to drive (I know bank of Dad etc, )

One guess who pays for the car, insurance, tax.... silly dad!!

Give the two of them a boot up the backside and take away the keys to the Polo. If that doesnt shock them enough to stop fighting over it, nothing will. Make it clear that as long as they can't agree on who uses it when neither of them will have it.

And if they need a car that badly let them go off and buy one of their own.

When they were younger and fighting over who played the Nintendo when, did you run out and buy a second one for them?!?!

This is a classic case of daddy-the-banklink and you're the bigger fool for going with it.

You can't honest answer the question which is "are you the main user of the vehicle" so the answer is no. You're on dodgy ground on the first one but no chance on the second.

best thing to do is get your son a car of his own and let your daughter keep the polo

As your son has achieved his full driving licence it is best that he takes out a policy in his own name and earns some bonus. He may be able to get some discount for being a named driver on the existing policy but it is only some companies who allow this to young drivers.

Continue on with the existing policy in your name with your daughter as the named driver until she gains her full licence also. She may then be in a position to take out a policy in her own name and she too may be able to get a discount.

Thank You all very much. I understand the 'bank of dad' comments but both have genuine reasons for needing a car. I will do as advised though!

Back