Laya Help! Am confused

Chestnut

Hi, my health insurance is due for renewal 01012020. I am currently with Laya, SIMPLY CONNECT. I am 63year old (to date) heahty individual, sole policy. I broke my wrist during the year, requiring one overnight, and surgery at mater private ,cork. I was amazed at how quick I reached my outpatient max, between consultant visits, xrays etc. allthough there were no complications. I feel I need a higher day to day limit, to allow for a more serious condition/accident., while maintaining current hospital cover, or, perhaps increasing to private room. The two private hospitals in cork city ,where I live ,are the Mater private and the Bons Secours. I am struggling with HIA site, confusing myself with mutiple plan options,although I am drawn to Control 300 create,, and Simplicity.......any advice? Suggestion? Am I missing something?

Hi Chestnut,

Between Simplicity and Control 300 Create, I would be inclined to choose Simplicity. Mainly because of the capped private inpatient excess of
100 x 2 per year for all private hospital admissions. The day case excess is just 50 per procedure in private hospitals.
With an inpatient excess of 300, if you have a few private hospital admissions - the costs could mount up fairly quickly, ie 3 x 300 = 900.
Although Simplicity plan has a 100 day to day excess, which means the first 100 is non-refundable, it is a minor issue compared to a 600 or 900 bill.
The other bogey is that Simplicity will increase in price to 1370pa from 1st Jan 2020.

An alternative plan worth considering is as follows;
1. Laya Simply Connect Plus @ price 1286pa; all public, private + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private hospital excess capped at 150 x 1 max per
year, for all private hospital admissions. Day case excess just 50 per procedure. Note; this plan fully covers a private room in Mater Private Cork,
but just a semi private room in the Bons Secours Cork. The day to day cover on this plan is 1000 max per year. ie 50% of 2000 = 1000.
This may be a good alternative option, that ticks most boxes.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

The cap amount on an inpatient excess is a huge plus, to prevent costs escalating.
It has a significant hidden value on any plan.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowb
Thanks a million for your reply. I'm interested in your suggestion of' Simply connect plus 'as an alternative to 'Simplicity'.l initially looked at this plan myself, but thought that an initial outlay of less than100 euro extra for Simplicity, for the much higher day to day cover made economic sense. Also Bons Secours cork has just opened a large new block,however ,all rooms therein are private, resulting in more private than semi private rooms in that hospital, ............
Am I missing something?. I would appreciate your objective views

Chestnut,

No, you're not missing anything.
Simplicity is the better option overall for your specific hospital needs.
Once your ok with the price, its a no brainer.

Regards, Snowyb

Back