Heidelberg

rowhite

Thinking about a weekend break to Heidelberg in January, is it a place worth visiting? Appreciate any advice

It has an old brewery with a huge beer barrel that's worth going to, a picturesque castle and a really old university. Worth a look.

Heidelberg has a fairytale atmosphere. It's one of the few German towns that was left totally intact during the wars.

Quite a steep walk up to the castle......didn't realize there was a funicular until coming back down ! Beautiful views from up there so well worth a look.

There's a Kathe Wolfhart Christmas shop open all year round & yes I succumbed even though I was there in Feb.

Don't know if you remember the musical The Student Price. This is the setting for it & you can see why. One of the oldest universities in the world and though not a beer drinker I would imagine it's a great place to try a brew or two.

Enjoy. I absolutely loved it.

Lovely place, well worth a visit. Never been there this time of year, always in Summer as it happened, but I love the place. Real traditional feel about it.
The Hauptstrasse is nice for a stroll, good buzz about it. Statue of Bunsen (the guy that invented the burner we used to use to try to blow up the school) about half way along.

What's the closest airport to Heidelberg with flights from Dublin and with good transport links to and from?

Just be careful with the trains. I hopped on the wrong one, which was an express and ended up having to pay an additional €50 on top of the normal fare.
My own fault for not checking properly but it's good to be aware !

Or as an alternative to the train there is the airport bus -

[broken link removed]

75 minute transfer, as far as I know there in no direct train service from Frankfurt to heidelberg?

It's closer to the main Frankfurt Airport (and much better served by transport links from there too)

There is a bus service from Hahn to Heidelberg if you look up Frankfurt Hahn airport you should be able to find a line to the bus information. Bus is fine but it is quite a distance from Hahn to Heidelberg. Lovely town and well worth a visit.

There is a bus service from Hahn to Heidelberg if you look up Frankfurt Hahn airport you should be able to find a line to the bus information. Bus is fine but it is quite a distance from Hahn to Heidelberg. Lovely town and well worth a visit.

what would be the nearest nice town to visit from hahn? is there a good bus service to a few towns?

Thinking about a weekend break to Heidelberg in January, is it a place worth visiting? Appreciate any advice

Weather in Jan can be miserable , Mannheim is worth a visit for museums and planetarium , Jan was the month for Winter-Sales (laws have changed ) but there are still sales and good value . Public pools/sauna are good quality and offer respite from the cold. In dry weather there are nice walks near Heidelberg , ask the tourist office.
pjq

City transit operator: (not a great website)

[broken link removed]

Regional transit association:

[broken link removed]

City transit map:

[broken link removed]

Heidelberg on UrbanRail:

[broken link removed]

Back