Hedges and Trees for Boundaries and Privacy

MissRibena

Hi everyone

My site has quite a bit of road frontage. The house is off to one side, so there is more than width of the house again in garden to the side. At the moment, the only screen from the road is a 3 foot high old rendered/plastered wall. I want to use some greenery to add some height to this and provide more privacy and thereby hopefully increasing the private recreation space in the garden. I'm keen to stick to plants that are inkeeping with the house's age and rural location. I would only need 3 mature trees in time. I was thinking of beech. Or should I look at something else?

The other boundaries are hedgerows made up of ash trees (very big), hawthorn and alder (I think - I'm on a steep learning curve). These are a LOT less formal than the front wall (putting it mildly) but I love them and all the wildlife they contain. There are some gaps in this hedgerow and I was thinking of introducing some hazel trees because I want the garden to be food producing next year (there are 2 huge apple trees and I plan on planting a couple of plum ones as well as starting a veggie patch). Does the hazel idea sound ok?

Anyone I know who is into gardening (and TV programs and websites) seem to be about more manicured town gardens.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca

Gerry Daly produced a basic book on IRISH gardens and gardening for begineers a few years ago, also try a good rural based garden centre, I find that the owner is usually very happy to advise on native species.

Back