Heating system consultants

house

Hi all,

Starting a new build, and was wondering if any one could recommend a good heating system consultant in the midlands/northwest region?

secondly is there such a thing as a good consultant or have ye found that people are linked with certain companies?

As far as i am aware there is no such thing as a heating consultant in this country. There are many "experts" out there with affiliations to products/companies that class themselves as consultants. Your best bet would be to contact a building services engineer with a good domestic building background or a proven heating and plumbing contractor. There are heating engineers out there but i've no idea where they would have gained their qualifications from. When choosing a contractor make sure to investigate his/her background and previous work. Finally, keep your heating/plumbing systems simple and effective as a lot of people overspend due to improper advice.

You could hire a mechanical consultant but they will over spec a domestic job. what you need is a good heating and plumbing contractor. I agree with Villa on avoiding sales reps, their job is to sell you their products.

What kind of heating system have you in mind? there is plenty of free advice around.

Hi all,

Starting a new build, and was wondering if any one could recommend a good heating system consultant in the midlands/northwest region?

secondly is there such a thing as a good consultant or have ye found that people are linked with certain companies?

You should retain a good mechanical and electrical consulting engineer.

They will write a specification for you for a very reasonable fee and advise on the pitfalls associated with various installations.

Often the most-overlooked profession, with BER certs and Part L compliance so prominent, they are potentially the most cost-beneficial to employ.

I am happy to recommend Colin Reid of Johnston Reid & Associates.

http://www.johnston-reid.ie/

I have worked with them on several projects over the years.

They take on work all over the country.

Hope this helps.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

As Villa1 wrote keep your heating system as simple as possible, i would be careful getting anybody in to advise you because designing a heating system shouldn't be rocket science and the systems that are over cooked can have problems down the road when it comes to wiring and correct usability, i would agree with ONQ and from the plans ask a BER inspector to size the heating requirement for the property, they will need information about the build, they can also advise you on other areas, insulation etc... once you know how much heat you want then you need to decided on underfloor or rads which have different characteristics, also decide on how much control over the heat ie room stats and zoning, hot water would have to be look at stored/ combi, once you have decided on that you can then get to heat source, gas, oil, wood pellet etc.... then you can look for a boiler look at http://www.sedbuk.com/ for gas and oil efficiencies, for design help look at chess [broken link removed] which is easier to understand than Part L , as Davy wrote any questions post them here, there's a lot of knowledge on this site, Gary

Back