Heating Pilot Light

R

ranger1w

My pilot light ignites then goes out every few seconds on my baxi boiler.
This only happens for the radiators. It is fine when you turn on the water.
Help please,
Ian

Which back boiler?

Most modern boilers do not have pilot lights they are electronic ignition
Could be a number of problems ranging from flame rectifiction to faulty thermisters or possible sludges ch system

You will need to call out a serviceman

No, all would be electronic ignition.

thanks davy, so do ANY modern boilers have permanent pilots??

A BER assessment would need to indicate if the boiler is auto ignition or permanent pilot....

Is there any way of telling on older boilers, should there be a vision panel or something??

None that I can think of, but there are still plenty of boilers around that have permanent pilot lights.

The best way of telling is to have a look at the gas valve control. If it has a button you push and a seprate manual ignition button, then it has a pilot light. You will also be albe to visually see the light in the combustion chamber.

To qualify to BER assess should you not be able to identify different boiler types??

To qualify to BER assess should you not be able to identify different boiler types??

of course i should... and i can... by referencing the web afetr a site survey....

but as davy has stated... there are plenty of boilers that have permanent pilots but no way of confirming this on site.. thats what i was asking him....

Of course you can confirm this onsite, look at the boiler, shut off the main burner (ie. turn heat demand off) look in the viewing window and see if the pilot is still alight (assuming it has one) and then you will know (if you really want to confirm, check gas meter, it will be still very slowly moving as the pilot continues to consume gas)

Also, many of the new remote control gas fires are permanent pilots also!

Back