Heating Bedroom

dangerhere

I am looking for advice on how one might maintain heat in a bedroom 24 x 12 feet. It has a rad and the heat is on consistently but it does not heat it to a comfortable level. Am willing to cause a little disruption but not to pull the room apart to fit any major appliances.

Is the attic insulated and the windows draft sealed?

Is the radiator working properly (heating up over its entire surface?)

It could be the radiator is undersized, in which case the only solution is either to install a properly sized radiator or reduce the heat loss from the room by insulating better, sealing drafts etc. If there's an unused fireplace in the room you might block the chimney, for instance, but make sure the room is also adequately ventilated.

New room- fully insulated in attic with double glazed windows. Has the current standard vent in wall which may not be helping the situation.

Agree with Extopia's suggestions - just to add, it is a quick, cheap and easy job to replace existing rad with either a larger or double version of the existing one.

Willingly do that but will it increase the heat output?

Er...well I'm no heating engineer but I guess there must be some heat benefit or else why make them? I don't know what other advantage there could be.

All I can say is that we noticed an improvement on our last house when we replaced all singles with doubles. Just make sure also that your boiler has sufficient output to deal with the size of your house.

There is a kval test - Google the internet for it bound to be somewhere. Calculates, size of room, room height, how many outside walls, insulation etc and it will tell you the size of rad you need. Obviously the rad you are using is not big enough, they are cheap to buy and when you have the right size for your room it will be cosy as hell. Also make sure to service the boiler every 36 months. Could lose efficiency otherwise. If can’t Google ask a plumber for someone with the ready reckoner.

:)

Is the rad under the window and if so are the curtains hanging over it? We solved a similar problem by getting shorter curtains and putting a heat reflector behind the rad.

Thanks all. The rad is under the window, short curtains but the heat reflector sounds good.

Back