Heating a new build with oil stove and panels?

StaroftheSea

Hi All,
We're building a new house. The house will be extremely well insulated and airtight etc
Energy Value kWh/m²/yr = 64
A2 rated.
MHV

As we project that our house will have a very low heating requirement, we have opted to go for an oil burner as our primary heat source. As we have access to turf and timber, will will have a stove in our large living area (106 cubic metres) and we are obliged to install solar panels as well.

The plan is to have a big buffer tank, heated by the solar panels, stove with back boiler and oil burner when necessary. Zoned heating for living quarters, bedrooms and/or hot water.

Our choice of solar panels are kingspan tubes or thermodynamic panels. They both work differently and do different things. To answer my questions below I think you will need knowledge of how they both work.

questions:
1. If we use a buffer tank in the way I describe above, will it mean the the thermodynamic panels will be working constantly, trying to heat the whole tank up? Does it mean that when the rads go on for example that the thermodynamic panels will switch on trying to reheat the entire tank? this would be undesirable as they are only designed for domestic hot water. Can they be connected to a separate compartment in the buffer tank solely for domestic hot water?

2. According to online calculations for determining the size of stove to pick, as our room size is 106 cubic metres and in a new build house the correct output of stove for that room is a 4.5 kWh to heat the room. I found a very interesting article about this here

www. thestoveyard.com/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=6812

Given the information in the above article, as our room is a large L shape, would we be better to go for a smaller output stove but with a radiator or two in the room that could be switched on if necessary?

3. We also want the stove to heat some/all of the central heating. Instead of installing a big stove capable of heating the 12 radiators in the whole house at the same time, could we install a smaller stove, and zone the system so that at any one time it would be only heating 6 radiators. So for example the stove is on during the day and heating the radiators in the living areas (Zone A). Then in the evening time we switch off Zone A and Switch on Zone B (Bedrooms) and the stove continues to heat only 6 rads at a time.

Then if we needed both Zones on simultaneously, i.e. the whole house heated could the oil heating kick in to make up the shortfall in heat?

4. The stove will be approx 12 metres from the hot water cylinder. Is this a problem?

I hope I've been clear in my thoughts and questions. Please fire questions at me to clarify if needed.

Back