Heat pump

Browneyedgirl4

Is it worth getting a heat pump heating system whilst renovating and extending the ground floor of a 1980 built 4 bed detached house (BER currently D)/upvc windows installed 5 years ago and attic insulated preciously.... I understand the house has to be at least a B rating for it to be effective. I don’t want to do a wrap around insulation so would drylining on the ground floor only be sufficient. In terms of installation does new pipe work have to be installed and new bigger radiators...what happens the immersion heater ...is a new tank installed in the hot press and roughly what is the cost of the entire system...

Very very unlikely....

Working backwards; a heat pump is a type of heating system ... the reason for needing a heating system is not to heat the house per se but rather to replace the heat being lost from the house ... so if heat pump cannot replace the heat at the same or higher rate that it is being lost from the house then you will end up cold with very high electricity bills and likely a shorter lifespan on the hp.
Even if you got the house to a specified BER level, in my experience unfortunately a BER is not an accurate method to estimate the likely heat loss so cannot be relied upon for any form of comfort (excuse the pun) in this regard.

If you are embarking on a renovation / extension project then I suggest you take your time and research how heat is being lost from dwellings, the importance of air tightness & ventilation, the risks that internal insulation pose etc etc and try not to squander this opportunity to do it as best you can.

Back