healthy alternatives to the take away?

StaroftheSea

Hi,

I was starving the other night, and immediately the thought of a Chinese takeaway sprang into my head... Now normally I don't eat late, and if I do it's usually some fruit and cereal etc something light. However on this occasion I found myself starving at about 10 at night. So I headed off to the chinese feeling more than a little guilty!

The fact is that if I could have thought of something to buy and /or make that would have been a healthy option I would have gone for it.....But all I could think of were noodles, pizza, bread and there was nothing that sprang to mind.... And I don't care what anyone says, if you don't know exactly what you want before you go into tescos, then you end up coming out with all sorts of junk....!

If I knew of foods or simple dishes that i could prepare without much hassle, and that would satisy me, then I would stay away from the unhealthy options....the problem is I don't.

Are we conditioned into thinking about the Chinese takeaway?
Could anyone suggest healthy alternatives to sweet and sour chicken with boiled rice and chips (for example...!)?
thanks

Re: healthy alternatives to the take away??

i would reccommend that you look at and try out the meals on operation transformation, maybe add a litle rice, they are healthy and tasty.

Some of the recipes are interesting but would have to wonder about the rice. Aren't we supposed to eat brown rice as the healthier option whereas those dishes are served with white?

I would suggest that you buy "Real Fast Food" by Nigel Slater. Lots and lots of tasty recipes that are all cooked in 30 minutes or less. He also has suggestions for what
you need to have in your cupboard in order to be able to throw together meals
from the few contents of your fridge in an emergency.

It is an excellent cook book to encourage you to cook and the recipes are all really easy.

At that time of night, I always think the handiest thing is a cereal or a toasted samdwich. Use good wholegrain bread and nice salads and its perfectly healthy.

I think a good cook book is required! And one that lists things to keep in your cupboard and freezer. I'm a Jamie Oliver fan in that regard.

My menu tonight is chicken stir fry - sliced chicken( (marinated for an hour in lemon juice), red onion, yellow pepper, garlic, peanut oil, tossed with cooked noodles in soya sauce.

Takes all of 10 minutes. As long as it would take to travel to and wait at the takeaway!

Just needs a little bit of forward planning. And as my OH says, the world is divided between those who marinate and those who don't. I am a forward planner and a marinater.

Better go and marinate that chicken.

mf

I've started eating frozen stir fry vegatables.. with the crunchy veg, like water chestnuts.. same as the Chinese really.

Fry them up quickly with olive oil so no cholesterol..

Normally I eat anything, like lamb chops at 1am, and a full box of cereal for dinner etc etc.. but I was recently told that olive oil has no cholesterol, so I use that now instead of the cheapest oil... also the frozen stir fry veg is very nice, and easy.

The other quick thing is Soupfuls, from some company, have been half price a lot lately, and the best before date is over a year away, so easy to stock up on.. and again very quick to do, eat straight from the saucepan so less washing up.. happy days. Not sure if these are good for you but must be better than a full packet of biscuits!

My menu tonight is chicken stir fry - sliced chicken( (marinated for an hour in lemon juice), red onion, yellow pepper, garlic, peanut oil, tossed with cooked noodles in soya sauce.
mf

Sounds really lovely....always after recipes like this. Its always easy to make bigger quantities as well and freeze them for the nights when you're home late.

I always have olives, hummus, mozzerella, rocket leaves and pitta bread in my house.

Warm the pitta bread in the toaster, spread some hummus inside, pop in a few olives and a slice of mozzerella, and throw in some rocket leaves. Absolutely delicious and really filling. And only takes about 3 minutes to make!

but I was recently told that olive oil has no cholesterol, so I use that now instead of the cheapest oil.
Plant based food don't contain cholesterol.

I always have the the ingredients of an omlette handy. You can add red oinion, diced tomato, chilli peppers etc. It's even tasty when cooked plain. Put the pan under the grill for 1 or 2 minutes after the hob to complete it.

Nyummmy.

The other quick thing is Soupfuls, from some company, have been half price a lot lately, and the best before date is over a year away, so easy to stock up on.. and again very quick to do, eat straight from the saucepan so less washing up.. happy days. Not sure if these are good for you but must be better than a full packet of biscuits!

The soupfuls are filling allright.....good for lunches....but I always find I could drink an ocean after one of them, they are so salty.

I've started eating frozen stir fry vegatables.. with the crunchy veg, like water chestnuts.. same as the Chinese really.

Fry them up quickly with olive oil so no cholesterol..

Hey Joe,

How long do you stir fry the frozen veg for? Do you have it at a high or medium heat setting? Finally, do you cook the veg from frozen?

Cheers.

About 6 mins, from frozen, I use a fair amount of oil, medium heat I suppose, pretty constant stiring... I just eat little bits until it seems done...

Depends how fussy you are I suppose.

I'm an epicurean omnivore - I'll eat almost anything but it has to be good.

What about something like hummous? Quick & easy to make (5 minutes), healthy and tasty. Use carrots or celery for dipping.

I agree with the omlette at least, if its late a night when you eat it, you dont have a big load of stodgy carbs in your belly keeping you awake at night.

I also love a toasted wholemeal pitta with a lash of hummus and soem cherry tomatoes. YUM

Back