Health service in a mess

dodo

If I was in charge of health service like Mary Harney, I would just go to Canada which has a super health service hospitals really well run.We have the cash to have a super health service but we need a top manager to put it right, so why not go to Canada and headhunt the guys over there who made their Health service great, and pay them 5 million a year for 5 years to manage our hospitals and then a big bonus after thay have us where we should be, I have spoken to friends in Canada who said per head Canada have not spent on health as we have yet they are in the top three in the world. To attract the best you need to pay top market price's, look at all the best company's in the world Microsoft, Dell, Honeywell etc all their top guys are on huge money, why because you pay for what you get.

I agree!
I calculated last year that if we spent the same per capita as the UK, Health should cost us EUR7.5 Billion per year. Actual cost was about Eur12.5 Billion.
Our population is also younger and should therefore be even cheaper in health cost terms.
My personal experience of the Health Services was of staff who cared, caring and staff who didn't , not.Strong management and supervision seem to be absent in very many cases.Oncology ward in St Vincents Public is an example of how it should be.The mantra "Health Care Professional" is very often just that...a mantra.I blame management, but primarily those we elect to govern.
It is an abject failure of political management and we elected them.
I am learning to complain.No more "they're doing their best"...."that's the way things are".I believe there is a culture change here.We could learn from some Nigerians I've met.

one of the cu juniors was doing a nursing degree in dcu. beaumont was the nominated training hospital. according to cu junior some of the nurses 'assigned' to the training
a) were asolutely brilliant and couldn't be more helpful
b)some didn't want to know and were less than helpful
c) some did the bare minimum both in work and in training

also got the impression that some of the (older ones in particular) were not impressed that the 'new' nurses were going to have a degree and were quite sarcastic about the new training setup.

some of the ward sisters actually spoke out loud about having 'more learners' in their wards and were hostile to the students.

cu junior is no longer persuing this course and has changed to a different course and appears happier since the change.

I know one of the staff in St Vincents oncology and a more dedicated and caring person you couldn't hope to meet. Patients definitely come first with this person.

bureaucracy and unions/vested interests - until these are sorted out we'll just be throwing increasingly more money into a black hole.

Back