VHI Health Plus Extra - very expensive for OAPs. Alternatives with VHI?

marie c

Hi,
Like most people, I get overwhelmed by the number of different plans available for health care.

My parents are both in their late 70’s and have been with VHI for a long time. Current plan is HealthPlus Extra.

Its been a struggle to pay for the last few years but the fear factor of not having it has resulted in it being paid.

And now their VHI now stands at €2,280 net EACH and they really cant afford this anymore.

Can anyonbe recommend what would be a good alternative?

They live in Louth, so not too far from Dublin. They each have a medical card.

Recently my mam was sick but went via public into hospital and was treated extremely well. Hence she wants to revise her VHI policy.

They have consultancy fees regularly, so would like this covered.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Hi marie c,

Welcome to AAM. Quick question; when is your parents renewal date?

Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb - I've been a reader of the site for a while but first time poster.

So the policy runs the calendar year. The new policy started January 1st. But I know there is a 14 day cooling off period.

My mother has reluctant to let me look into it, but I feel they are being cheated by VHI.

marie

Alternatives to VHI HealthPlus Extra;

1. HealthPlus Access; price 1858pa.
A direct identical alternative plan to VHI HealthPlus Extra is called VHI HealthPlus Access, price difference 422 x 2 = 844pa.
[broken link removed]

2. HealthPlus Excess; price 1632pa.
3. Health Access; price 1491pa.
If they don't mind taking on an inpatient excess, the above 2 plans are worth considering; An inpatient excess means you pay 75 or 125(depending on the plan) if you are admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital or for a day case procedure. You pay this excess for each admission or each day case. Its a one off charge, not a nightly charge. Otherwise, hospital cover is similar to HealthPlus Extra and HealthPlus Access.
[broken link removed]

The day to day cover for consultants visits etc is not good for all the above plans because of the high excess(250, 300) for outpatient cover. An ideal outpatient excess is 1 euro, so you're in a refund position straight away- no matter how small your expenses.
The following plan VHI Plan PMI 42 15 has excellent outpatient cover but unfortunately with VHI, they impose a 2 year waiting time for people over 65 years before they can avail of these extra benefits. They would stay on HealthPlus Extra just for outpatient cover, while waiting. You never lose cover while waiting, you stay where you are until the waiting time is served.

4. VHI Plan PMI 42 15; price at 1 Jan 2016 was 1565pa. This price will apply to your parents as its also their renewal date. It increased to 1648 on Jan 2, 2016. This plan has no hospital excess, same as before. Hospital cover is same as before except one difference.
The only difference to HealthPlus Extra is in relation to orthopaedic cover, ie hip or knee replacment surgery. Plan PMI 42 15 has 80% cover for this type of surgery in a private hospital. HealthPlus Extra has full cover for orthopaedic surgery in a private hospital.

However, 80% cover does not have to be a problem, if they were to choose either Blackrock Clinic, or Mater Private Dublin, both these hi-tech hospitals are not passing the shortfall amount onto the patient for orthopaedic surgery. This shortfall could be 3000+ if you choose any other private hospital for orthopaedic surgery under this plan.
[broken link removed]

Overall savings with PMI 42 15 plan is 715 x 2 = 1430pa.

There are plenty of alternatives with VHI to choose from according to their health needs, without compromising on hospital cover while reducing costs. These savings will help pay for consultants visits etc.

Just to mention, Laya Healthcare have no waiting times for day to day cover, regardless of age, cover applies straight away.
Plans worth considering with similar cover as before, including full cover for a private room in a private hospital on all 4 plans as follows;
1. Simplicity; price 1044pa; Max inpatient excess 100 x 2; outpatient cover 100 excess. 50% refund for consultants, etc.
2. Ideal Simplicity; price 1250pa; Max inpatient excess 100 x 2; outpatient cover 50 excess. 50% refund for consultants etc.
3. Complete Simplicity; 1380pa; Max inpatient excess 100 x 2; outpatient cover 1 euro excess, 50% refund for consultants etc.
4. Total Health Select; 1837pa; No inpatient excess, same as before, outpatient cover 1 euro excess, 75% refund for consultants, gp, etc.
[broken link removed]

I appreciate its with reluctance even to consider switching from HealthPlus Extra, but its sometimes interesting to see the broader picture.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi Snowyb,

Thank you so much for the information. I was able to run through all the options with my mother. Whilst she has heard of other older people switching to Laya, she is reluctant to do so.

But she has happily switched the two of them to HealthPlus Excess, which is a savings of almost e650 each.

She was delighted to be able to look at the information you provided, and I did give you & this site the credit you deserve.

Thanks again,

Maire C

Back