Health Insurance Health plus access renewal for 65 year old.

lowspender

I have received renewal notice for my Health plus access policy. Price €2238.12.
I have hip pain and worried I may have heart issues. I need full cover for these.
I wonder if it is possible to get the same cover at better price.

I have received renewal notice for my Health plus access policy. Price €2238.12.
I have hip pain and worried I may have heart issues. I need full cover for these.
I wonder if it is possible to get the same cover at better price.

Hi Lowspender,

I am sorry to hear that you have hip pain and may have heart issues.

Health Plus Access at €2238 is very expensive for what it offers. There are a lot of plans offered by LAYA that fully cover hip replacement
and are considerably cheaper than Health Plus Access.

I suggest you contact VHI and ask them to quote you for a similar plan to Health Plus Access that offers broadly the same cover at a cheaper price.

I would also call LAYA and ask them that if you were to change provider and needed Orthopaedic or Cardiac surgery in the near future what cover would you have. If they tell you that you would be covered to the level of your previous plan (Health Plus Access) for two years while you serve a waiting period with LAYA ask them to give you that in writing. Simply Connect Plus or Connect Simplicity are very good plans that fully cover hip replacement. Both the plans at €1470 and €1414 respectively offer better value than your current plan and are worthy of consideration.

I hope this is helpful

If you do a quick google search you will see ''Health Plus Access'' plans seem to be an outdated plan where people have been on for years and have never switched so therefore the plan itself is poor value.

There are also a few older threads here where user snowby recommended alternatives, if you want to take an easy approach and save yourself the hassle / seek an expert opinion you could also pay for advice but I reckon you could save at least €700 and probably receive the same care if not better.

I would ring Laya and Irish Life and explain your needs first, age etc and what you want covered and see what they come up with, I'd just fear if you said you are with ''vhi Health plus access'' they might just recommend you something in the similar price range.

Every year I renew over the phone but also always ask for any online discount (if already available online) to be included in the premium which so far has never been refused.

Back