Health Insurer Gov Levy

Mairin

The Gov. proposed a levy to be placed on private health insurers (Quinn, etc). They proposed €150 per adult and €50 per child. This has not been signed into law and the health insurers have taken it to Europe for a ruling. However, when renewing your health insurance, the levy is included in the premium. Is it legal to charge to a customer a government levy which has NOT been signed into law? Please advise.

I finally got an answer from the Dept of Health and Children. The levy is charged by the Dept on to the health insurance companies - not on to individuals. The companies divide it up among its members or not, depending on their decision to pass it on or not. Therefore, despite it NOT being signed into law, the consumer has to pay it. If the European Courts throw it out (as being unlawful/unjust), the Dept refunds the health insurance companies and if they decide to refund it back to the individuals, that's the health insurance companies decision. They could decide not to pass it back and keep it! From talking to Quinn Healthcare, if it goes their way, it would appear that they will not be passing it back as I was informed, they already paid for the legal challenge to risk equilisation. Hibernian have said they will refund it.

Quinn informed me today that they are passing on €103 of the €160 levy to customers but will refund any levy should the gov reverse their decision on this levy.

Back