Health Insurance Health insurance while travelling to USA

masterboy123

Hi All,

I have VHI day to say plus health insurance pack.
I am travelling to USA and wondering if VHI is valid there?
If not, could you please recommend a basic health insurance for USA.

Thanks

Are you going to the US on vacation, or are you going to be there for an extended stay?

For extended stay you need something like this:

For a holiday, you probably need topup on the below for the US because that won't go very far in the US - unless your particular policy has a much higher max.
If you look at say VHI travel insurance, I think their cover assumes you already have health insurance in place (see https://www.vhi.ie/travel-insurance) and is on top of that.

Your Vhi Healthcare health insurance plan covers all your eligible in-patient hospital charges up to a maximum* of €65,000 / €100,000 if you need emergency treatment while on holidays abroad.

*Check your policy documents for the maximum amount on your plan.

Are you going to the US on vacation, or are you going to be there for an extended stay?

For extended stay you need something like this:

For a holiday, you probably need topup on the below for the US because that won't go very far in the US - unless your particular policy has a much higher max.
If you look at say VHI travel insurance, I think their cover assumes you already have health insurance in place (see https://www.vhi.ie/travel-insurance) and is on top of that.

Your Vhi Healthcare health insurance plan covers all your eligible in-patient hospital charges up to a maximum* of €65,000 / €100,000 if you need emergency treatment while on holidays abroad.

*Check your policy documents for the maximum amount on your plan.

Thanks for guiding in the right direction.
We are visiting for a short duration (less than 2 weeks).

I have VHI "PublicPlus Care Day-to-day" I will check what cover is included.

So €65,000/- is included from the VHI policy.
Is this amount sufficient?
If you end up in a US hospital for anything serious that sum could be a tiny fraction of the total bill!
Insurance Ireland recommend that you purchase a policy that provides a minimum medical cover of €1 million.

So VHI multitrip travel insurance is costing €125 for 2 adults and 1 child.

Are there better rates available? But at the same time I don't want to get some dodgy insurance. Please suggest the names.

if you are just going on one trip , you don’t need multi trip insurance, just single trip insurance . There are loads of companies 123.ie, chill.ie, quote me.ie

if you are just going on one trip , you don’t need multi trip insurance, just single trip insurance . There are loads of companies 123.ie, chill.ie, quote me.ie
VHI only offering multitrip and we usually travel twice in a year.
But I will check the links now, many thanks

Some credit cards come with travel insurance included but you pay an annual fee
I have had a BOI Platinum card for as long as I can remember and it has a very good travel insurance attached for a yearly fee of €75 or €80
IIRC once you pay for at least 50% of the travel with the card everyone traveling is covered worldwide and for up to 90 days
and last time I checked it was as good if not better than most other policy's provided on the Irish market

Some credit cards come with travel insurance included but you pay an annual fee
I have had a BOI Platinum card for as long as I can remember and it has a very good travel insurance attached for a yearly fee of €75 or €80
IIRC once you pay for at least 50% of the travel with the card everyone traveling is covered worldwide and for up to 90 days
and last time I checked it was as good if not better than most other policy's provided on the Irish market
Good to know this.
I have AIB Platinum credit card, will check my options now.

Back