Health Insurance - What to get based on current and future situation

Munzab

Hi everyone.

this is a bit of a shot in the dark, because i really have no clue.

Me: Working full time, decent salary, but everything comes out of my salary, so not much to play with at the end of the month. travelling to work, therefore petrol costs ++

I would say i would have about 500 euros to do the groceries etc and other costs that might come up (road tax, gas bill bi-monthly)

Wife: working full time, but low salary. saving some money from account, and would end up with 600-700 to play with hopefully at end of month.

We had health insurance for a year in 2011 with aviva. both together was 110 euros per month, and we made absolutely no use of it.

we therefore decided to go back to not having private insurance.

We have just found out we are now due our first baby May 2015.

I am aware that the horses have bolted re pregnancy cover etc, we just couldnt afford the insurance until very recently, which would have been outside the period anyway. we were and are still paying credit cards, and ill put my hands up and say we did not do very well a few years ago, thinking we could do the single life thing while together and she wasnt working for 2 years (only has worked 9 months at this stage), therefore we are still a little bit in the red.

I am wondering if we decided to go for health insurance, what should we be looking for. i am thinking more in terms of medical care after pregnancy. i am happy to go public for the pregnancy anyway, its more the after that i would like to think about.

we are both in our early 30's, and no health issues.

Would we be eligible at all?what kind of thing should we look for? would they touch us with my wife being pregnant?i know the 13 week rule if there isnt anything, but we are expecting at this stage.

i would be looking at either a good plan for herself, and maybe the kid when born. if we can have a plan for the 3 of us, great, if not, im happy being public - its more for her and the baby.

Many thanks for giving me pointers and what to look for, if i am in the position that we can get something.

Back