Health Insurance Health Insurance Renewal

Ron_Goulding

Hello.
Insurance renewal has come in. Currently with Irish Life health on the 4D 2 Plan.
2 adults (40) and 2 Kids (2 & 6). Renewal is €3,300.

Switched last year from Laya Explore Flex 500 and that renewal was €2,000. I changed as my company paid for the Irish life plan for myself. I have since moved company and will cover the cost myself now.

My thinking is to move back to the Laya plan as that cost is more affordable for me. But is there any other plans out that that maybe offer a good ”in between” policy that offer better value for money? Currently all healthy and use the policy’s very little but like to have them for obvious reasons.
Thanks in advance.
Rgds.

Hi chiefpilot,

The children's special offer with Laya at the moment is very good value. You pay for the 1st child and the rest of the children are free.
There are 3 plans included in the offer, details as follows;

1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 256pa( pay for 1 child and the rest go free); all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Private excess
capped at 300 x 2 max per person per year for all private hospital admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. Laya Essential Connect Family; price 274pa(pay for 1 child and the rest go free); all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Private excess
capped at 300 x 1 max per 'family' per year for all admissions. Day case excess capped at 300 x 1 max per year for all day case procedures for the
2 children.

3. Laya Flex 125 Explore; price 375pa(pay for 1 child and the rest go free); all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private or hi-tech
excess 125 per admission and day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

For the adults, the following plans are worth considering, they are similar enough in price but they both have a capped lower excess of 250 or 300
compared to Flex 500 Explore, details as follows;
1. Laya Signify plan; price 938pa; all public and private hospitals covered; private excess capped at 250 x 2 max per year per member for all
admissions, day case excess 125 per procedure. No hi-tech hospital cover on this plan, very limited Beacon hospital cover. If hi-tech cover matters,
then this plan is not suitable.

2. Laya Essential Health 300; price 996pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, (Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic covered for cardiac only)
Private excess capped at 300 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 125 per procedure.

If full hi-tech cover is important, this plan ticks all boxes including full cover for a private room in a private hospital. Details as follows;
3. Laya Control 600 Connect; price 955pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech
excess 600 per admission and day case 175 per procedure.

Irish Life options
As an alternative set of options Irish Life Benefit range have a selected list of public and private hospitals covered. The private list of hospitals is very
good value if you are living in Dublin. You would need to check out the lists of hospitals covered to ensure they suit your location.
For the children, Benefit plan @190 per child would be best option. All public and private hospitals covered.

Even one adult could choose one of the Benefit range to make savings, while one adult and children go with Laya plans.
To avail of the childrens special offer with Laya, one adult must be insured on any Laya plan.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

List of hospitals and treatment centres covered on Benefit 1 and Benefit 2 plans;
https://www.irishlifehealth.ie/Iris...spital-lists/Health_Plans_Hospital_List_3.pdf

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Your help is much appreciated. I have been having a look at your previous advise to other posters and I like the look of the VHI One 500 with the kids on the 125 plan. (Access to their private clinics is a plus)
comparing this alongside the Irish life Benefit plans they seem to be quite similar. I do indeed live in Dublin so in your opinion for the best value with the best access to private hospitals would the VHI one plan be the plan to opt for over the Irish life benefit plans? I don’t mind paying an excess to keep monthly cost down.
Rgds

Yes the VHI One Plan 500 is good value. It covers all public and private hospitals.
Its ok at age 40+ but for older folk say 55+ it would not be suitable as there is just 60% cover for hip or knee replacement surgery
in private hospitals. This 40% shortfall would be 5k to 6k per surgery.
Pricewise this plan will increase to 780 per adult from 1/3/2020.

Child Options
1. VHI One Plan 150; price 197 per child;(205 from 1/3/2020) all public and private hospitals covered + some Beacon cover. Private excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure.

2. VHI One Plus Plan; price 225 per child (235 from 1/3/2020) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission and 125 per day case procedure.
VHI Swiftcare is accessible on both plans.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks so much. After weighing up the options I went for the Irish life benefit plan for all of us. Including the kids. After comparing it to the VHI One plan it seems like the better option. (I think!) Trying to figure out all the policies really is a minefield.
thanks again and I do appreciate the advice. I see from your previous threads that you don’t accept payments so I’ll be making a donation to my closest charity instead.
All the best.

Back