Health Insurance Health insurance renewal

Brensky

Hi
Looking for some advice.
Firstly my parents in their 70s currently on laya connect care. Have medical card. Mum has osteop and lupus. Dad early stage dementia. Renewal is mid Jan. They are based in west of Ireland.

I am on one plan with vhi, 4 of my kids are on teachers select(it was half price last year) my other daughter is on my parents policy. She's 10 but has sight issues. Has a rare sight condition so I put her on laya as they cover ophthalmology , however there is no treatment for her condition currently. We all renew mid Jan.
My husband joined laya when the new rules came in last April.

Any advice on suggestions for my parents and my own family would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi Brensky,

Firstly, for your parents with Laya, the following four plans are worth considering;
NOTE; There is no hospital inpatient or day case excess payable in any public hospital. Hospital inpatient or day case excess applies to private or hi-tech hospitals.

1. Simplicity; price 1050pa, same hospital cover as before, private hospital admission excess 100 x 2 = 200 max per year, day to day cover with the first 100 not allowed(100 excess), private day case 50 per visit.

2. Connectchoice; price 1170pa, same hospital cover as before,private hospital excess 125 per admission, day to day cover same as before, 1 euro excess, private day case 125 per visit.

3. Simply Connect; price 999pa, same hospital cover as before, private hospital admission excess 150 x 2 = 300 max per year, day to day cover 1 euro excess max refund 300 per year per person, private day case excess 50 per visit.

4. Simply Connect; price 1099pa, same hospital cover as before, private hospital admission excess 150 x 1 = 150 max per year, day to day cover 1 euro
excess max refund 500 per year per person, private day case excess 50 per visit.

[broken link removed]

Laya Plans for 10 yr old
1. Simply Connect; price 239pa; same hospital cover as before, private hospital excess 150 x 2 = 300 max per year, good day to day cover
with 1 euro excess, max refund 300 per year, private day case 50 per visit.

2. Simply Connect Plus; price 263pa; same as Simply Connect plan, max private hospital excess 150 x 1 = 150 per year, day to day cover max refund 500 per year, 1 euro excess, private day case 50 per visit.

[broken link removed]

VHI Options for self and children
The One Plan is the cheapest VHI plan which covers all 3 levels of hospital cover, so no change there.

There is a half price offer for children from 1 Jan to Feb 29 2016.
1. One Plan Family; price 138 per child, 3 levels of hospitals covered, 125 private excess, limited day to day cover.

2. One Plan Complete; price 151 per child, 3 levels of hospital cover, no hospital excess.

[broken link removed]

The only difference between these two plans is the hospital excess 125 or no hospital excess - only for private or hi tech hospitals, no excess applies to any public hospital.

Hope this helps with your renewal decisions.
You can post again in April for your husbands renewal, there may be more changes by then.

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb
Your knowledge is amazing. Am going to move parents to either simplicity or simply connect plus
One question. Ideally I think I would prefer to be with laya. I have osteo problems too and laya provide better coverage.
However 4 of my kids are with me at vhi. My husband is laya with renewal end of April. My other daughter is on my parents policy.
Vhi renewal Jan 14
If I were to cancel my 4 kids policies with vhi. Me switch to laya and when my husbands renewal comes up with laya switch him to vhi and take on 4 kids
Sorry I know this seems complicated. Will my kids have to start waiting periods from scratch, if there is a break in cover

hi Brensky,

There's no need to cancel the 4 kids policies with VHI. You can switch yourself to Laya from renewal date and you can renew the 4 children with VHI from the same renewal date. VHI allow children only on a policy, your name is on the policy but only the children are covered with VHI.
Note; a better priced plan for them is;
One + Plan. price per child 131pa; public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess 125 per visit.
or
One Plan Complete; price 151 per child; public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. No excess on this plan.
[broken link removed]

So its straight forward with no complications.

Regards, Snowyb

Back