VHI Health Insurance Renewal Advice

dmak60

My VHI policy PMI 36 13 is due for renewal at €1349.23 early in November. Like many, I find understanding the cover, excesses and benefits of the various insurers very difficult so would appreciate a little advice.

I've read many great threads here and it seems that Laya Simplicity is a very good plan. Can I ask two questions:

1. Is Laya Simplicity a much better plan than VHI PMI 36 13?

2. My PMI 36 13 renewal costs about €1350. Is there a better VHI plan for the same or less money? If I stay with VHI and pay the same amount, can I get a better plan?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dmak60

Hi dmak60,

Welcome to AAM. Alternative VHI plans worth considering with similar hospital cover as follows;

1. VHI PMI 43 16; price 1171pa; all public, private + 3 hi-tech hospitals, private or hi-tech excess 150 per inpatient admission for a stay re
surgery or treatment, private or hi-tech excess is 50 per day case procedure. Good day to day cover, same as PMI 36 13. The only difference
between this plan and PMI 36 13 relates to the excess amounts; 150 vs 75 per private/hi-tech admission, 50 vs 75 per day case procedure.

2. VHI PMI 44 16; price 1102pa; all public, private + 3 hi-tech hospitals, private or hi-tech excess 150 per inpatient admission or per day case
procedure. Very limited day to day cover on this plan. Note; this plan also fully covers a private room in a private hospital which is an extra.
Main differences compared to PMI 36 13 relate to excess amounts, day to day cover and private room cover.

[broken link removed]

Regarding Simplicity plan, it has advantages like the max inpatient excess of 100 x 2 per year in private or hi-tech hospitals.
It also has full orthopaedic cover in all private and hi-tech hospitals, ie hip or knee replacement surgery. No excess or shortfall is payable for
this type of surgery. It fully covers a private room in a private hospital. While day to day cover is fine on Simplicity plan, the first 100 is not
allowed. A lot depends on a person's age and their medical needs and case history( if any) at a particular stage in their life. Depending on
what is relevant to them medically, will determine what is important regarding a particular plan overall.

Regards, Snowyb

A lot depends on a person's age and their medical needs and case history( if any) at a particular stage in their life. Depending on what is relevant to them medically, will determine what is important regarding a particular plan overall.

This is a key question for each of us to answer . In reading previous highly informative answers from Snowyb, I have only one muddle in my mind....."What does a hi tech hospital offer that I cannot get in other hospitals". For example I live in south east and Waterford is nearby and what can I only get in one of the 3 high tech hospitals.
A related muddle : " are there procedures available in Blackrock and Mater Private that are not available in Beacon."

If you can help I'd be most appreciative.
Thanks

This is a key question for each of us to answer . In reading previous highly informative answers from Snowyb, I have only one muddle in my mind....."What does a hi tech hospital offer that I cannot get in other hospitals". For example I live in south east and Waterford is nearby and what can I only get in one of the 3 high tech hospitals.
A related muddle : " are there procedures available in Blackrock and Mater Private that are not available in Beacon."

If you can help I'd be most appreciative.
Thanks

newfarm,

To be perfectly honest, I don't know the answer to your 2 questions above. I like to have the extra option of the hi-tech hospitals included,
which suits as I live in Dublin. They also have private A+E depts, which have proved invaluable recently with a family member.

Having had a fair bit of experience recently in a hi-tech hospital, you'd be amazed at the amount of country folk who travel long distances to use
the hi-tech hospitals, to make full use of their health insurance. Distance doesn't seem to matter.

Maybe other posters can throw light on the finer details if any apply.

Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb for your detailed reply to my initial query.

I’m 60 years old and in good health.

For family history reasons I’d like good cover for cardiac care so would either of the 2 VHI’s above or the Laya Simplicity be best for heart care? I note you say Simplicity is very good on orthopaedic but is it also the better for heart issues?

dmak60

dmak60,

I am not a health insurance broker with access to detailed information regarding lists of procedure codes covered on specific plans.
(which I think should be transparent and made available to customers in order to make a fully informed decision when spending large amounts on health insurance every year).

Both VHI plans and Simplicity would cover the regular cardiac surgeries as standard, by-pass etc.

Apart from basic knowledge, I know that Simplicity plan includes a cardiac procedure in Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic called 'Tavi Procedure' which is valve replacement surgery by keyhole if a person is not suitable for open heart surgery. VHI classes this as Level 2 cardiac procedures
and is only covered on more expensive plans, not the ones mentioned above. Apart from that, I would not be aware of any other differences.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb for your time and advice. I’ll review the above plans before my renewal next week. Much appreciated.

Regards,
dmak60

Back